Blue Band (chapter two)

Chapter 2. Nicole?

“Charles. Charles.”

My name whispered into my ears like songs. I jolted up, gasping, glancing around. There was no one. O.K. I knew I was quite ill- a lot ill, in others’ perspectives, but I didn’t know that I’d hear things when there was nothing or no one. It was now five o’ clock, and I’d fallen asleep. The empty whiskey bottles lay in front of me, and I had an idea. I collected them up and put them in the black plastic bag that they were bought in, and tied the handles, and stood, brushing sand off my clothes. Then I put it down and stumbled to a toilet cubical meant for passers-by, and threw up into the toilet bowl all the whiskey that I’d drank, and dizzy, my stomach empty with only the croissant vomited out, I showered with the door firmly locked, and changed into spare clothes that I’d brought along in my bag. Then I got into my car and staggered in, punching the button in the key, thrusting the plastic bag into a drawer. Then I drove- quite aimlessly, and that was my big mistake. When I was alert, the clouds clearing from my head, I realized that I’d driven to a country corner, a slum area, where it was deserted most of the places. I was about to drive out of the main slum area, when I caught glimpse of a red Volvo, shining, through my back mirror.

 “Rose loves rose color, red. Her cars are all red,” Mr. Brown had once told me.

 And I could vaguely catch a glimpse of Jake, sneering. Cold sweat stupidly broke out of my forehead, recalling the capture and the seizure. I was just not strong enough, and not brave enough. Without much thinking, I did a lot of stupid stuff. Lemme list them down for ya.

1.     I started to drive in frenzy, speeding up ruthlessly.

2.     I didn’t check the amount of oil in my car, and it turned out that there wasn’t much left.

3.     Last but not the least, I did the most stupid thing- since it was a rural area, I didn’t know where and how the town was made, so without knowing, I drove myself to the edge of a cliff.

I backed away my car, but Jake’s car was already so close behind that I thought I could almost hear Jake’s snigger. I grabbed the gear and yanked it towards me, before quickly racking my brain. They could blow my car up, and I’d be in their hands. But what did they want from me? I couldn’t lock the car doors- it was completely pointless- like a child’s play. Then, I had an idea. Just as I caught glimpse of Jake getting out of the car, I jerked the gear again, until the car was working again, and opened up all the windows and doors of the car. Jake jumped back into the car, looking confused a little. Then I did the craziest thing. I drove my car straight into the deep sea, shutting close my eyes in determination, adrenaline rushing through my veins- in strange excitement.

I thought I could’ve died.

Splash. I dropped into the freezing, fall- or what others call, autumn sea- no; I could say I crashed into it. Wouldn’t it make the Yellow Pages: Charles Edmund, the famous Blue Band vocal singer jumping into the sea in the middle of autumn in his car? Water gushed into the wide open and doors, and I immediately swam out of the car, desperate to swim out of the car. It was deeper, much deeper than I had expected that it would be. I yanked my cap off and bucked it to my belt, and then started to swim up, kicking and waving frantically. Splash. Foams of white bubbles formed at the sea, and I was thrown off downwards in the sea again. Bubbles escaped my mouth, and I could see a vague light below me. The bubbles cleared, and there was Jake, just in front of my nose. Shock gripped me, and before I could swim away, he grasped my collar and punched me underwater. I was gasping for breath. I didn’t tell you, did I, that I had short stamina? I kicked Jake’s legs, yelling and shrieking, drinking at least a jar of salty seawater. Jake let go instantly, and using the time I swam desperately up the shore, and Jake was too late. I jumped up to the sand and started running with my cap on, without even looking back, until I heard running feet.