Chapter 18: Casey

Start from the beginning

"Sydney is such a lovely name, dear," his mother said, smiling at her. "What is your family name? We're the Grahams."

With intrigue, Casey perked his ears up to hear her answer, but she never spoke one. Looking up to observe why, Casey found her looking down at her lap, her face contorted; conflicted.

Obviously, family is not a good topic for her. I wonder if they have anything to do with why she was crying last night.

Making eye contact with his mother, Casey urged her to change the subject.

"Well, you are welcome to stay here as long as you'd like. It'd be nice to have another woman in the house. It's just been me ever since my daughter got married," Elena rambled.

"Thank you," was all Sydney said, and Casey hoped that meant she accepted the offer.

The rest of the meal, he let his mother do most of the talking. He could tell she made Sydney feel more relaxed, so he only chimed in when it felt right.

Once everyone finished eating, he carried Noah to his mother's room and put him to bed. When he came back, Elena was cleaning up, and Sydney was in their living room looking lost in thought.

"Here are some blankets and a pillow," Casey said, hauling a pile of linen to the couch where Sydney sat. "It should be much more comfortable than the floor."

All she did was smile and nod.

At least she's smiling when she sees me, instead of reaching for a gun.

"Casey Alexander Graham! I hope those blankets are for you!" his mother shouted as she was leaving the kitchen.

"What, Ma?" Casey asked, confusion holding his mind captive.

"Where are your manners?! Sydney is our guest, and she's also a woman! Women need privacy!"

"Oh, I'm fine here, Elena," Sydney spoke up, her deep blue eyes flicking toward Casey before settling on his mother; she was trying to diffuse the situation.

Casey appreciated it, but he knew his mother was not going to be moved from whatever point she was trying to make.

"Nonsense. You'll stay in Casey's room, dear. I raised a gentleman, and that is how he will behave," his mother said with a smile before glaring at him.

"Is that okay with you? I don't want to intrude," Sydney said, looking to Casey.

"No, it's fine. I really should have offered. I don't know what I was thinking," he said, a nervous smile on his face. "My room is right there. Please, make yourself at home."

She gave him a small, sympathetic smile before disappearing into his room, leaving Casey in the living room with his mother.

"Ow!" Casey whined at the sudden pain he felt on the back of his head. "Ma, why did you hit me?"

When he turned around, his mother was standing there with a disapproving look on her face.

"Because apparently your brain is asleep on post! How could you try and make her sleep on the couch?! Didn't I teach you anything?!" Elena complained.

"I have no idea what you're going on about, and I still don't see what was so wrong about it," Casey responded, his arms moving in big motions as he expressed himself.

He flinched when his mother suddenly raised her hand like she was going to hit him again, but she just swore under her breath.

"Son, you don't let the gorgeous girl you brought home sleep out here. That's no way to impress her."

"Who says I want to impress her?" Casey asked, lowering his voice to a whisper so Sydney couldn't hear them talk about her.

"Why else would you bring her here?" his mother asked, not believing him for a second.

"Because I-" but he couldn't finish his sentence.

Even he didn't know why he brought Sydney there. He knew he hoped she would somehow be a link to finding his father's killers, but that theory was a longshot.

"Forget it, Ma," he sighed. "Can I please just get some rest? I'm getting up early tomorrow."

His mother eyed him for a few more moments, trying to see why he suddenly was ending their conversation. However, she soon dropped the topic.

"Okay, well. Goodnight," Elena said, giving him one more glance before going into her room.

"Wait!" Casey said, suddenly remembering something.

He ran over to his bag that he left by the door, and started rummaging through it.

"What is it, Casey? What are you looking for?" his mother asked, now only a few steps away.

When he felt the smooth stone pendant against his fingers, he clasped it, pulling it out infront of his face.

"I got this for you."

Casey watched his mother's face as she studied the necklace he held out to her. He was confident she would like it, but a part of him worried that it may also bring her grief.

"It's beautiful, son. Thank you," was all Elena said as she accepted the gift Casey bought her.

"When I saw the color of the stone, it reminded me so much of-"

"Fletcher," she spoke softly, barely audible to Casey, as her eyes studied the stone.

Her eyes were glassy at the mention of her dead husband's name.

Casey hugged her, pulling his mother into his chest like she was the child and he was the parent. They stayed like that for a while, both slowly healing from the loss of someone so irreplaceable. Someone that was taken far too soon.