Chapter 15

"Anchors away!" Old McDugan yelled.

I didn't know how to feel. My heart was racing with anticipation but seeing the black clouds forming in the horizon made me feel giddy. Our boat started moving, luckily the winds were behind us and blowing our boat towards the impending storm. The breeze was much colder now. I took out a jacket and handed it to Rose. I saw her crossing her arms. I moved closer to her to comfort her. She smiled. Old Bob was maneuvering the ship expertly. If he had any dobt, he never showed it.

His face is that of a seasoned veteran. A small smug, he looked confident in the steering wheel. His big chiseled arms from all the years of battling storms and waves. He maybe a bit older now but more wiser. He wore a raincoat. "Storm incoming!" he yelled yet again.

We braced ourselves. The waves are beginning to be more turbulent. The currents are swaying the boat sideways and its making me sick. I looked at Rose and she looked confident as ever. I feel a little embarrassed at my situation. Old Bob said "Drew get the sails up, the winds are more violent now."

With a struggle I went up my feet and pulled the rope that Old Bob was pointing to. The waters were violent and so was the winds. I could feel the boat tumble back and forth by almost 30°. I grabbed a rope and hoped the storm to pass. It was like that for 20 minutes then a lull. I saw tiny specks of sun pushing against the clouds we survived the storm. Old Bob nodded in delight when I glanced back at him.

"Where's Rose?" I asked the old guy.

"Beauty might have retired in the cabin. Why don't you try and find her?"

I looked inside she wasn't there. I ran at the back and there I saw her. The current must've tumbled her off the boat. I shouted at Old Bob to halt. "Man overboard!"

I grabbed a life vest and jumped in to the water. As I drew nearer to her I saw she was struggling and nearly out of breath. She started to sank and about 60 meters far from me. I sucked all the air I can inhale and dove. I saw her going down the water motionless. I grabbed her and pulled her upwards. She remained unconscious even after we got her up the boat.

I gave her mouth to mouth resuscitation, and pounded her chest. "Breathe, Rose, breathe" I was sobbing and in pain.  It was like that for 2 minutes. Back and forth, giving her air and pounding her chest after. I thought I lost her. It was then that she started to cough, all the water she swallowed flowed from her mouth.

"Thank you." Rose said and kissed me. I felt relieved. We went to the cabin and laid her in the bed so she can gather her strength. I also saw great relief in Old McDugan's face when the ordeal passed.

Now the trail towards Oak Island is clear. The task at hand is a tad more nearer.