Chapter 13

Canada.

People are warm and kind enough to comfort me from the horror that was Scotland. We hired a roving van to take us to Chester, Western Shore.

On our way Rose couldn't resist to quiz me about history again.

"How could the Templars go this far?"Rose asked me.

"There has been  lot of sightings of them stories. Native Indians has in their oral history, narrated how fair green eyed men settled here in the Americas long before the British came to the land. It has long been debated but a tower in Rhode Island called the Newport tower has been built by the Templars. Maybe as a calendar or a watch tower who knows. Carbon dating has suggested that the structure has been from the pre-colonial period, confirming the oral traditions of the natives. And as I said, Templars are great navigators to begin with, its not impossible that they may have made it this far."

She rested in my arms and I rested my head over hers.

After a few hours drive we arrived in our destination, The town is picturesque. If I had to retire I'd like to retire here. We went straight into the harbor and asked if somebody can take us to Oak Island.

"Oak Island? Nobody goes there its cursed." said one sailor.

"You seek death by going there." Said another one.

"I will pay you" Rose said. "Double if you like but only if you can take us there."

"There is one guy, old Bob McDugan. He lives at the end of town. You can find him at a bar there. He's been there, He may take you there if you still want." said another sailor.

We leaped in haste to find this Bob McDugan guy. We found him drunk. Some guy showered him with warm water to stir him back up then we talked.

"Oak Island" McDugan told us "Its a cursed place. I can take you near the island but were not setting foot, not on the shore. I will wait for you a hundred yards near the island and no more. You swim across if you dare. I ain't going there. No. No more."

"No more? so you actually was there?"Rose asked in her thick Scottish slang.

"Yes. As a young lad I was an adventurer. Talks of treasures. Some old folks said they found gold there. We hoped to find something."

"We?"I asked.

"Aye. We. Me and my brother. We went into the money pit. As we went in water came streaming downwards, my brother drowned. I regretted ever going there and now I drown myself with alcohol. But if some assholes ask me go there, I oblige but not before I warn them. So if you still are raring to go its on you."

I looked at Rose and I can tell she still wanted it.

"We're still going."I told McDugan. "Very well. Meet me at the harbor tomorrow morning. Better with sunshine and I'm drunk." Bob proceeded to retire for the evening leaving us at the bar.

"Why would the templars leave their wealth here?"Rose asked me again quizzically.

"Why? Because this is Nova Scotia! New Scotland." I replied.