The Baseball Star

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes at the cliche that is high school. Win a big game have a party. It's like the two cannot exist with out the other.

It's always the same. Drinking, puking and hookups that people will regret the next day. I think I am the only one who doesn't drink at these parties, but for good reasons.

Drunk men tell no tales.

Someone told me that before I started going to parties and I never forgot it.

I didn't understand it until I saw Chase Underwood get drunk and embarrassingly confess his undying love to Alyssa Carmichael.

I have my secrets and I want to keep them hidden.

"Yo, B! Can you designate?" I hear Gunner call from his locker a row over, his voice echoing around the cement room.

"No" I laugh, drying my hair with my towel before tossing it into my gym bag.

I hear a groan followed by burst of laughter. I shudder at the thought of what Gunner is up to.

"Brandon" an overly sweet voice calls from behind me.

I am afraid to turn around. The laughter ringing around us doesn't help my worry. Gunner may be my best friend, but I don't put anything past him.

Slowly I turn to face Gunner, my eyes wide in surprise and laughter choking in my throat.

  Gunner stands behind me with his towel wrapped around his body like a dress. Another towel wrapped around his head and he twirls the piece around his finger as if it were hair.

He cocks his hip to the side, causing the towel to ride up, showing the bottom of his blue boxer briefs.

"But B, I'll do anything to get a ride.... in your car." his exaggeratedly high voice nearly has him laughing.

"Puppy eyes, really Gunner?" I ask, throwing the rest of my stuff in my gym bag and slinging it over my shoulder. 

 I slam my locker close with a long sigh, turning to look at the big brown puppy eye version of Gunner.

"Fine. But if you try to have sex in the back of my car again-"

"Alright. Alright. No back seat banging." He rips the towel off his body and tosses it at me, walking away back to his locker.

I shake my head, tossing the towel over the locker to him.

Do we choose our best friends or do they somehow just fall into the role? Why would I have chosen Gunner? We are so different, like night and day. But maybe that's why we work.

"I'll be at the car. Hurry up or I leave you!" I shout, pushing through the big double doors.

Spring is the best. Not hot, not cold. Just throw on a long sleeve shirt and you'll be good.

"Brandon." My eyes scan the parking lot for the voice that called my name.

"Hey Cara." I say as she bounces over to me, her hazel eyes wide with excitement.

Her brown hair is pulled high into a ponytail and I watch as she tries to discreetly unzip her thin jacket. Her full chest nearly spilling out of her low cut shirt.

"Are you going to Caleb's party?" She bites the corner of her lip, looking up at me from under her heavily mascaraed eye lashes. 

I can't deny that she is pretty with her heart shaped face and curvy figure. No doubt there are at least a dozen guys at this school who would want to be with her.

So why she is trying to get with me, when I have shown her no romantic intentions, I don't know.

"Yeah, just waiting on Gun." I say, tossing my thumb over my shoulder to where the locker rooms are.

Her eyes follow the movement of my arm. A slow smirk crossing her face as she adjusts her body position.

I didn't think it was possible, but her chest is even closer to spilling out of her top. Seriously, what is holding it it?!

"Cara" Gunner rolls the 'r' of her name, as he slings his arm over my shoulder.

It's impossible to miss the way his eyes move down her face and lands on her chest. Lust evident in his eyes, like she is a bag of his favorite candy.

"Hey." she says quickly before turning her gaze back to me.

"I'll see you later, Brandon." Her hand skims my arm as she walks past us towards her car.

Gunner follows his gaze as I toss my gym bag into the back of my Jeep.

"Damn, B. Please tell me you're going to tap that tonight?" He says, throwing his bag next to mine and slamming the door closed.

Tap that. He says it so casually as if it is nothing. As if I couldn't possibly not be attracted to her.

He doesn't know that I'm not. That Cara is as far from what I am attracted to as a pine cone.

"Nah man. I'm good." I turn the ignition, bucking my seat belt before pulling out of the parking lot.

I can see Gunner roll his eyes in my peripherals. His whole head shakes like I just told him that the earth was actually flat and he was ready to argue.

"When was the last time you got laid, B?" he practically shouts as he slap my shoulder with the back of his hand.

Never.  But not for the reason he's thinking and I am not ready to tell him that.

"C'mon dude. Cara is like super  hot! and if you don't think so then you must be gay." He laughs at his joke, not knowing that my heart just stopped.

My foot slams a little to hard on the breaks at the stop sign  and the car lurches forward, sending us into our seat belts.

Gunner laughter picks up as he slaps my shoulder again.

"Dude, chill. It was a joke." Deep down, I know that he is kidding, but he has never said that before.

I manage a little laugh, as I shove him back. All normal things I would do with Gunner, but I am feeling anything but normal right now.

<3 <3 <3 <3