Promises

We returned to the bridge and Spock assumed his Captain position.

" We must gather with the rest of Starfleet, to balance the terms of the next engagement." Spock said and Kirk looked at him with disbelief.

"There won't be a next engagement. By the time we've gathered, it'll be too late. But you say he's from the future, knows what's going to happen, then the logical thing is to be unpredictable." Kirk yelled with frustration. I stood by Spock knowing this will not end well.

"You are assuming that Nero knows how events are predicted to unfold. To the contrary, Nero's very presence has altered the flow of history, beginning with the attack on the USS Kelvin, culminating in the events of today, thereby creating an entire new chain of incidents that cannot be anticipated by either party." Spock refuted. " So an alternate reality" I said finally understanding where Spock is going with this.

"Precisely." Spock turned to me with a slight smile. He did it again. Am I imagining this? No one else noticed the emotionless Vulcan smiled at me. " Whatever our lives might have been, if the time continuum was disrupted, our destinies have changed. Mr. Sulu, plot a course to the Laurentian system warp factor three."

Kirk was fuming with anger. "Spock, don't do that. Running back to the rest of the fleet for a, a, a confab is a massive waste of time..." " ...orders issued by Captain Pike when he left..." " He also ordered us to go back and get him. Spock, you are captain now! You have to be..."

I could tell Spock was annoyed with Kirk arguing with him even though he didn't show it. He was trying to remain calm. " I am aware of my responsibilities, Mister."

" I will not allow us to go backwards...instead of hunting Nero down!" Kirk exclaimed and that was when Spock had enough. " Get him off this ship."

I won't admit that what Spock had done was wrong, but that was a little extreme. " Spock, I agree that Kirk was way out of line, but did you really have to put him in an escape pod?" I ask trying to be calm about the whole situation.

" Lauryn I understand your concern, but it had to be done." "I agree with her Captain." Bones joined in with the conversation.

" Permission to speak freely, sir." I could tell Bones was going to go on a rant. After all Jim was his best friend at the moment. " Permission granted" Spock looked at bones with confusion.

" Are you out of your Vulcan mind? Are you making the logical choice, sending Kirk away? Probably, but the right one? You know, back home we got a saying, "If you're gonna ride in the Kentucky Derby, you don't leave your prize stallion in the stable." Bones really like using metaphors even though I did not always understand them.

"A curious metaphor, Doctor, as a stallion must first be broken before it can reach its potential."

Now Bones was annoyed, this was just great. "My god, man. You could at least act like it was a hard decision."

" I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale was better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me." Spock left his position to speak with his father.

"Green-blooded hobgoblin." I smacked Bones' arm. " Hey! What was that for?" He said rubbing his arm. I glared at him and walked towards the Medbay. Bones followed behind and complaining the whole way there. We finally reached the Medbay when Bones pulled me aside.

" Dammit Lauryn! Why did you hit me, I am going to have a bruise the size of Texas!" Bones exclaimed which made me turn to him.

"You didn't have to be so rude to the Captain. Jim was not going to let it go, so Spock did what had to be done. Can you stop being a curmudgeon for one minute!" I didn't realize I raised my voice until the nurses turned around.

"I see what is going on here." Bones said with a smirk. "You have a thing for pointy ears."

" I do not. He is my friend and colleague. I just happened to agree with him on most matters." I said trying to hide my face from blushing.

"Lauryn, now your defending Spock's decision when moments ago you were against it," Bones pointed out. I pulled Bones into my office so no one could hear us.

" Okay fine, maybe I do like him. That doesn't matter because he only sees me as a friend." I let out a sigh. It felt good to finally tell someone. "Bones, I swear, if you tell anyone you are dead."

"Don't worry darlin' I won't say anything. You have my word." Bone promised. Little did I know, he had his fingers crossed behind his back.

*********

Thank you for reading!