Chapter 17 "Destiny's nightmares"

Life is always full of surprises, it a little bit like lottery, some people win the jackpot, others less bigger prices, other smaller prices and some don't win anything at all! There is chance in life, there is a reason for everything. Archibald Cornwell would have never thought that the one he considered as his rival, the one who had stolen the heart to his late cousin's girlfriend, the one he like to fight with for a yes or a no, would be the one who was going to get them out of the woods. In fact, he had come back in Candy's and their daughter's life and he had found a way to help his school friends during this time of worldwide recession. The job Terry had given him had made him so much money, that he was able to open his own lawyer's office and he had hired other lawyers to work with him. The priority of Archie's company was of course Angel's case and Terry, but he now had other clients, rich and poor. Archie's company was now independent; they were helping rich and poor people. Archie never would have thought that his rival was going to be the one who would help him out of the woods but also allow him to have his own firm, which he didn't have with his family business. He had also bought a big house where he lived with his brother.

He was in his bedroom after a hard day of work. The files on the patients, insurance companies would pay up, he needed tenacity to deal with them and a lot of repetitions. Fortunately, he now had people he could delegate his work to. He also took law students as interns to get some help. He went to take a shower and when he got out of the bathroom, he heard the phone ring. He thought it was Annie, he wasn't rushing, but when he got close to his night table where the phone was, he saw Candy's number, he picked it up fast.

- Candy? Are you ok?

- I'm home Archie, I'm fine.

- Oh... do you need something?

- Yes Archie, I need a lawyer...

- I beg your pardon? Why would you need a lawyer?

- To protect my interest... and...

- And...?

- I want press charges against Susanna...

- Against Susanna? Why?

- For stealing my embryo...

- Are you kidding?

- No, I'm dead serious... The baby is viable...

- She can still hurt it...

- No, that's just it... She loves my baby, she calls it "her baby"!!!!

- Oh... You want to go press charges at the police station?

- Archie... we can't talk about this over the phone, can you come to see me tomorrow morning, very early?

- Of course Candy. I'm going to cancel my morning appointments and come to see you...

- Thank you Archie. Good night...

- Good night Candy.

Archie hung up the phone and he had a little dilemma; Susanna was Terry's wife, his benefactor. But Candy also needed him, it was a conflict of interests...

*
**

Candy could fall asleep, she was very tenses. Michael went to warm her a cup or warm milk and he put some chocolate powder in it.

- Thank you, said Candy who was sitting on the living room couch.

He went to sit by her side and he took her in his arms.

- I want to press charges against Susanna...

- I heard you... are you sure about that?

- No, I'm not sure... but I feel like she wants to keep my baby...

- The only way for her to do that, it's if she can prove that you're an unfit mother...

- Well with everything that happened lately...

- Don't worry about that honey, you're going to have your baby soon...

- How could Terry treat me like that? She said with tears in her eyes and despite everything, I can't get myself to hate him!!! I'm a stupid idiot: pregnant by a married man...

- Finish your hot chocolate honey, so we can go to bed... Romeo must be tired and stressed too, that's not good for him.

- Go tell that to Susanna! She's threatening to take my baby away!

- Well it's not her baby...

Candy finished her hot chocolate and she went upstairs with Michael. They went to bed and Candy finally fell asleep in Michael's arms. But she had nightmares.

*
**

Annie arrived late at Archie's. She was at another Charity Gala to collect funds. She got in the bedroom she shared with him and she found him sitting on the king bed, typing on his laptop.

- Good evening, darling, she said.

- Good evening sweetie, how are you?

- I'm tired, that gala was endless!

- But you got the results you wanted, right?

- Oh yes! It's great to have been rich, you know what to say to sway them!

She approached him and leaned to kiss him on the lips.

- What are you doing?

- I'm looking into family law and custody suits...

- Why?

- Susanna wants to keep Candy's baby...

- What? She's crazy! It's not enough that she stole it in the first place? Now she wasn't to keep it??? She completely nuts!

- You can say that again! Candy wants to hire me to defend her...

- I hope you said yes...

- I'm going to see her tomorrow...

- But...

- I'm wondering if there's a conflict of interest; the fact that Terry helped all of us get jobs and if his wife wants to keep the baby...

- What his wife is doing is wrong! Candy is your cousin and our friend. We have to help her! Terry will understand...

- That's what I'm telling myself.

- I'm going to take a shower, you want to join me?

- I already took a shower...

- Who said anything about showering? Said Annie smiling.

- I'll be there in five minutes...

Annie was in the bathroom, and she took her clothes off and she took a quick shower. When she had to scrub her back, a hand took the loofa and helped her... She turned around smiling and they kissed for a long time under the shower... they fun getting it on under the shower with pleasure. Which didn't prevent them from making love again in their bed before they fell asleep.

*
**

Candy was waiting for Archie impatiently. Michael was gone and Angel was on her computer doing her school work. She was still not going to school to limit her environment...

Archie arrived around 8 am and Candy opened the door before he was able to ring the bell.

- You're finally here!

- Euh... it's only 8 am...

- I've been waiting for you for hours...

- Good morning Archie. How are you? I'm sorry for making you come her so early in the morning, I know you wanted to sleep longer or even make love to my best friend. But you're here to help me...

- What? Said Candy, oh... I'm sorry. But I'm on my nerves...

- That's not good for Romeo...

- Romeo is fine... I can't wait for him to come...

- Let's go sit in the dining room...

- You want to eat something?

- Yes, let's go to the kitchen then...

He took her arm and they walked to the kitchen. The maid served them toast, eggs and coffee for Archie.

- All right, he said, while eating, how did you sleep?

- Not well at all. And I had nightmares...

- You have to calm down...

- How do you want me to calm down? That nut job wants to steal my baby! Angel told me she talks about the baby like it's hers, but I didn't think it would get to this! I want to press charges!

- Candy, if she wants to sue you, it's better if you're the victim...

- How?

- Is you attack her, she becomes the victim and she's going to hide behind the stress of being 9 months pregnant and drag to jail... she might give birth prematurely ...

- The baby is viable.

- That's not the point Candy... She wants to keep the baby... if she manages to prove that you don't deserve that baby for stressing her uselessly... and you're going to have another man's baby. You're going to have two children with two different fathers, that's going to be a bit confusing for them...

Candy looked down and Archie saw her eyes.

- Candy? Do you have something to tell me?

- Nothing...

- Candy... I'm your lawyer, you have to tell me everything...

- You promise not to say anything?

- I'm your lawyer; confidentiality...

- You can't tell Annie either...

- What's going on? I'm going to keep your secret; you're my client...

- All right. The baby I'm going to have is Terry's...

- WHAT???!!!

- It was the night before the insemination; the doctor told us as laughing that if I made love the night before, that it would increase the chances for the insemination to take...

- And you told Terry and he just came to bang you? Just like that?

- Archie! I...

- What?

- I seduced him...

- What? You? While he was engaged to another woman? Candy!

- He was supposed to break up with her after the insemination worked so we could be a family...

- So Susanna felt that Terry was slipping through her fingers... I understand better her gesture!

- You're not going to defend her!

- You slept with her fiancé!

- I know it was bad... but he was going to break up with her...

- What about Michael, he knows it's not his baby?

- Yes, he does...

- And he's still with you...?

- He's my friend first and foremost...

- Oh Candy...

- Unless I'm forced to, I won't tell Terry...

- And when little Romeo is going to look like big Romeo?

- Then I won't have to say anything...

Archie shook his head. Terry always drove Candy crazy. He remembered how she would go to his room in college and risking getting caught just to be with Terry. They would go out at night, they would go to the movies, to concerts... they both loved risks. So making love behind Susanna's back must have been exciting for them...But for the moment, they had a big mess!

There was a ring at the door. Candy went to open the door.

- Candice White Andrew? Said the man

- Yes?

- You've been served..., he said giving her an envelope.

Candy opened the envelope and she read what was inside. She went to the kitchen and gave the envelope to Archie.

- Great! Said Archie upset, but let's stay calm, everything is going to be fine...

- I'm trying not to scream and I need all the forces of the universe to not call that thief and yell at her...

- You can scream Candy, said Archie.

- AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Are you feeling better?

- A little...

- Fine. Now, what's the story with the social worker?

Candy told him about the incident with Angel, the burn, the emergency room, the visit from the social worker at the same time as Terry and Susanna...

- I'm going to take care of the social worker...

- How?

- Leave that to me. Don't worry... I'm going to call the office...

- Go in my office, said Candy with a weary tone.

Archie finished his breakfast. He stood up and hugged Candy.

- Don't worry my little kitten; I'm going to get you out of there.

- Thank you Archie! Said Candy hugging him hard... how could Terry do that to me???

She was crying silently.

*
* *

- YOU DID WHAT???!!! Yelled Terry, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND??!!

- I send papers to Candy for the custody of Juliet... I can't give her my baby, she doesn't deserve it...

Terry looked at her like she had just fallen from the sky...