The Man In The Fields Ritual

The Man In The Fields ritual bears some similarities to a couple of other rituals I've posted here. You have a task to complete after you perform the summoning. The Man In The Fields ritual may be appealing to some because of its rewards, but if you're not careful, you will see the Man In The Fields for yourself, and likely meet your end. As always, play at your own risk.

PLAYERS

One

REQUIREMENTS

A house with a garden or backyard. Inside the house should at least be one room that has only one door. Ideally, the room should be empty, and the door should have a lock. A non-electric source of illumination. A candle, a lantern, or even a kerosene lamp work well, as long as you have matches or a lighter. A crucifix. An analog watch or clock. Do not use a cell phone.

INSTRUCTIONS (PART ONE)

1. Begin after sunset, but before midnight. How much time you give yourself is up to you, but it is not recommended that you begin less than one hour before midnight.

2. Clear the house and backyard of other people.

3. Make sure you have your crucifix.

4. Light your source of illumination.

5. Enter the backyard and turn to face the house.

6. Repeat the following phrase seven times: "But who will scare the crows away?"

7. After the seventh repetition, listen closely: If you hear nothing, the summoning has failed. Leave your house immediately and do not return until after 6am. If you hear a voice behind you, or perhaps in your head, then the summoning has been successful. The voice will say: "That's not your biggest problem."

8. Return to your house and close the door behind you. Do not look back.

INSTRUCTIONS (PART TWO)

1. Go to the room with only one door. Ideally, the room should be empty of all objects, but if it is not, close everything that can open (drawers, closets, windows, boxes, containers, suitcases, bags, etc.). Do NOT miss anything. If it opens, you MUST close it.

2. Leave the crucifix in the safe room, but continue carrying your source of illumination.

3. Exit your safe room.

4. Everything else in your house that is capable of being open will be open, even if it was closed before the ritual. Your task is to close everything that can open before the clock strikes midnight.

5. If you see a man with ashen skin in your peripheral vision, do not look at him. Do not make eye contact with him. He is not the Man In The Fields. He is simply following you to make sure you are getting your job done.

6. Do not look in the backyard for any reason.

7. If you look in the backyard, go immediately to your safe room and close and lock the door behind you.

8. Find your crucifix and grasp it tightly.

9. Pray you did not leave anything in the room open.

10. Do NOT open the door before 6am, no matter what you hear or don't hear outside.

11. If you did not look in the backyard and you are positive that you have closed everything in the house, go to bed and close your eyes.

12. Sleep, if you can. If you can't, don't open your eyes.

13. If you wake up in the morning, congratulations. You've won your prize.

NOTES

While any house with a large backyard or back garden will suffice, a secluded house in the countryside with a proper field behind it is recommended. This location yields the strongest results.Although you may begin the ritual any time between sunset and midnight, no attempt before 9pm has ever succeeded. No attempt an hour before midnight has succeeded either, but for very different reasons.

IF YOU WIN

If you successfully complete the ritual, you will be completely safe for one calendar year; however, what you are safe from will depend on when you began the ritual. If you began three hours before midnight, your safety is physical. You will suffer no illness, you will suffer no injury, and you will remain in perfect health for one calendar year. If you began two hours before midnight, your safety is physical and financial. You will remain in perfect health, and you will never want for money for one calendar year. If you began an hour before midnight, your safety is complete and total. Your actions will cause no negative consequences at all for one calendar year. However, it is very unlikely that you will successfully complete the ritual within an hour.

THE ASHEN MAN

Once again, the ashen man is not the Man In The Fields. He is more like a referee to make sure you're closing everything.

THE BACKYARD

If you look in the backyard, you will see a scarecrow that you've never seen there before. Scarecrow is actually a loose term. It is much taller than any scarecrow should be and will be missing a head. Instead, it is said to be replaced with the skull of a cow. This is the Man In The Fields. If you see the man, he will see you. When he sees you, he will begin to climb down from his post. From the moment his gaze meets yours, you have exactly one minute to reach your safe room and lock yourself in. Do NOT open the door before 6am. If you do, he'll take something from you that you cannot get ahead without. Think about it. Ahead.

Oh, and one last thing...

Should you be forced to flee your safe room for any reason, you'd better hope that you didn't leave anything in there open. If you did...

He'll still be able to get in.