VIII. There's No Murder If There's No Body

Start from the beginning

"Nice. 4.5 million," Pamela said while counting my total winning. "Want me to put them in your bank account?" she asked.

Umiling ako. "No. That's dirty money. If you know any charities for victims of rape, just make an anonymous donation."

My only goal was to find justice for Molly, and if in the process I could help someone else, too, then good. But I never wanted to gain anything from this—not money nor fucking connections with those rich assholes.

Pamela looked taken aback with what I just did. I didn't know why she was so surprised. If she's really good at what she does, she should know that if I really wanted money, I could always just... go back.

But I'd rather be poor than to go back to that hell.

"So, what's the next plan?" she asked.

"Usual," simula ko. "Will still date Nathan, then I'll try to get closer with Thomas. He said he'd see me soon. I'm just waiting for that soon."

Pamela nodded. She was typing something in her laptop. For a change, ako naman iyong kumakain. I just let her do her magic while I eat and simultaneously text with Nathan. I promised him that we'd have dinner tonight. I couldn't keep on ditching him. After all, should my plan of getting close to his friends fail, Nathan would be my only chance.

From: Thomas

Yacht party. Friday. Game? -Thomas

"Speak of the devil," I murmured as I read his text. Hindi ko alam kung saan niya nakuha iyong number ko. I surely didn't give it to him. Isa lang ang alam ko na pwedeng magbigay sa kanya—si Nathan.

It was obvious that he didn't want me close with his friends. Yet for some reason, he just gave my number to Thomas. His manwhore friend. Talk about missing a spine in his back.

"What?" Pamela asked.

"Thomas just texted. He's inviting me in some yacht party," sabi ko.

"Sino'ng kasama?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Not sure." I glanced at Pamela, and she looked worried. "I'll be fine."

"That was probably what Molly thought, too. That she'll be fine. But look where she ended up in," Pamela said. My jaw clenched at the mention of Molly. It was... still a sore topic. Until now, I still hadn't read the whole affidavit. Every time I'd try, suddenly, I couldn't breathe.

It was more than reading; it was like I was reliving the whole nightmare.

And I didn't think I could do that just yet.

It was... too much.

"I'm not Molly," I told her with serious eyes.

"I know. But you're being stupid if you'll come to this yacht party. Paano kapag may ginawa sila sa 'yo? Tatalon ka sa dagat? Magpapaka-lunod?"

"Ikaw 'yung nagsabi na kailangan kong lumapit—"

"There's a thin line between being brave and being stupid, Mallary. Once you cross the line, death might be the end game," she said, staring at me like she meant every word.

Alam ko naman na tama siya. This was dangerous... but I knew that, but that didn't stop me from playing. I wasn't just playing for fun, I was playing for justice. For Molly.

This was bigger than me.

"Sometimes, you just have to cross the line... and hope for the best," I said before picking up my phone to confirm my attendance in the party.