Chapter 88

It's been a month, and things have stayed roughly the same.

Dean and Castiel haven't approached the subject of Sabriel again, but they still spend the day with both boys. Within a week, an unspoken, unplanned agreement occurred, where sometimes, Sam will chat with Dean and Castiel like old times, while Gabriel awkwardly stands around, and other times, the roles switch. It's not ideal, but it works.

When Sam isn't talking to the rest of Team Free Will, sometimes he'll pray to Lucifer. The archangel may rarely be out in the war room with them, but Sam doesn't expect a response; just something to keep them both entertained. They never speak out loud during the day, but as soon as night hits, he meets Lucifer in his room, and they share a silent greeting until they meet up in Sam's dreams, sometimes to talk, and sometimes for less innocent things

Michael and Jo have had it pretty good lately. They haven't acknowledged Lucifer, and Lucifer hasn't even looked their way, making for a nice, relaxed few weeks, if often dull.

Then there's Samandriel and Adam, who are just kind of there, and Charlie and Meg, who are dating, even if they're often overlooked by the author because they're not very interesting, and probably could be kicked out with no repercussions to the virtually nonexistent plot.

M'kay, brief summary over. Let's get this ish started!

~~

Lucifer.

He hears Sam's voice in his head, signaling to him that it's time to meet up in the dreamworld. He meanders through the halls to Sam's bedroom, nearly walking straight into Jo. Dear god, she's short.

Lucifer is content to just hop out of the way and continue his journey a few doors down to Sam's bedroom, but Jo, after a pause, stops him.

"Hey, Luce."

Lucifer hesitates, not sure whether to pretend he didn't hear her and keep walking or stop to hear what she wants. He reluctantly holds back, turning back around to face her and crossing his arms. "Yeah?" He tries to hide the impatience in his voice. Can she hurry this up so he can get to Sam before he starts wondering where he is?

Jo seems to be looking for the right words, finally just asking, "Are you okay?"

Lucifer gives her a puzzled look. "Yes?" With Sam around, he's really better tha okay. Not only is it someone to fuck whenever they please, but Sam is willing to treat him like a friend, something he hasn't really had since the fall. "Why?"

"Just, you haven't really said or done anything in weeks, and it's kind of weird," she explains.

"Has it ever occurred to you that maybe I am talking to people, and you're just not one of them?"

"No one else here likes you," she reminds him.

"Okay, no, that's not compl— 'else'?" He didn't quite comprehend the word at first, but now he can't not focus on it.

"No, not 'else,'" she corrects herself quickly. "I mean no one likes you here, period. Don't look too far into that."

Part of him wants to taunt her about that, but at the same time, he really does need to get to Sam's room, so instead, he just says, "I know that's not true, so whether you know it is irrelevant. Now, if you'll just back off, I have places to be."

Before he can fly away, Jo grabs his arm. "Seriously, Lucifer, what's going on with you? You never just leave me alone like this."

"Maybe it's not my job to keep you company," he snaps. "You have Michael now. Go sleep with him or whatever and leave me out of it."

"That's..." Jo trails off, not wanting to give him the ammunition of her boyfriend not wanting to have sex until marriage. She can only imagine how he'd fire that back in her face.

Lucifer figures it out anyway, and he can't help but roll his eyes. "Right, little goodie two shoes would be the one to follow that rule, wouldn't he?" Lucifer shakes his head at the idea, because really, it's ridiculous. No one waits until they're married for sex. Well, some people probably do, but an angel, really? They don't have to fear God — mostly, anyway. "Well, too bad, so sad. That's what you get for dating the teacher's pet of heaven. Great, glad we had this talk. Bye!"

He starts the walk away, but again, Jo grabs his arm to stop him, and he reluctantly turns around to face her.

"Why are you in such a rush?" she asks, seeming genuinely curious, not accusative.

"Because I have no desire to talk to you," he tells her.

"But you never just, like, pass by me," she protests. "Or, you didn't used to. What gives?"

"Maybe I'm just done with you," he replies, his voice colder than he intended. "Now go run back home to Michael, and leave me out of it."

"Why do you keep bringing Michael up?"

Lucifer scoffs. "You're joking, right? He's your boyfriend. You've made that very clear. Why wouldn't he come up?"

"I don't know, Lucifer," she says, a slight teasing tone to her voice. "You sound a little bit jealous, if you ask me."

"Jealous?" he repeats with a laugh. "Of Michael? Don't flatter yourself, sweetie. I've got more than just you to think about."

Jo frowns at that. "So you're not even going to fight with me anymore? Is that how this is? We can't talk?"

"Oh, we can," he tells her. "I just don't want to. The only thing you were good for was fucking, and with Michael in the picture, that ain't happening. Now, really, I do have places to be and people to see, so don't wait up."

And fortunately for him, this time when he flies away, Jo doesn't try to stop him.