Jace stared at the dirt, his face angry but thoughtful.

"There's a legend," he said quietly as he glared down at the forest floor, "the legend of the silver witches."

"I have already heard that legend Jace."

"But what about the part where they are the only type of witches that can have children of werewolves? The bodies of golden witches can't withstand birthing one of our children."

"What exactly are you trying to tell me Jace?" I avoided his eyes angrily.

"What if you are one of those children?"

I stared at him with wide eyes as I approached him. Then I hit him on the head with a stick,"hopefully that'll help knock some sense into you!" I laughed as I sat down next to him, "I am not related to some evil witch! My mother was a werewolf."

"You think she was a werewolf! The only person who really knows is your father."

I feigned annoyance and dismissed Jace's speculations about my birth mother. When my mom died I was very young. I remember the little things, like how pretty she was when she smiled, how she treated me like a princess, but apart from that I don't know what kind of person my mother was. One thing I do know is that she was not evil. Not once did her eyes shine with malice or did her mouth curve into a hateful frown.

The legend says silver witches were evil and despicable. If my mother was a silver witch, then the legend is wrong. Because she was not an wrathful bitch.

"I have to speak to my father," I mumbled completely ignoring Jace's previous words.

He looked at me incredulously, shaking his head with a chuckle. I didn't spare him another glance as I walked towards my fathers home.

~

"Dad," my father hasnt looked me in the eye since I arrived.

He's obviously not hiding anything.

"Your mother was a wonderful woman-"

I quickly cut him off, "yes we know tha-," my sentence was left unfinished as he continued his own.

"For a long time, but she had the blood of the silver witches inside of her. Blood that over time became stronger, because her ancestors were part of the first silver witches clan. Eventually no matter how good she was the amount of power inside of her overpowered her. It was almost like a switch flipped in her brain and all of the good in her heart dissappeared," he looked down sadly and I fought the urge to embrace him, "she didn't know she had any powers until she broke the bond between her and I."

I gasped, covering my mouth, sometimes I'm unintentionally dramatic.

"As you know Valentina, the mate bond can be broken and restored more then once. But when someone with silver witch blood breaks the mate bond more than once, it triggers the bad blood. Meeting and being able to love your soulmate is a blessing, by breaking the bond you are doing something that the moon goddess considered evil."

I glanced up at Jace who was leaning against a wall next to the door. He avoided my gaze and I felt the urge to slap myself for not being able to forgive him. For not being able to just be with him and let myself be happy. But that's just it. How can I be happy with an alpha? I'm a rogue, there was a time when I was content with being part of a pack. But now every time I think of packs I remember Mason and the hell he was able to put me through because of the fact that he was the alpha.

Maybe I am evil? Maybe I deserved what Mason did to me. Because what good person puts their soulmate through pain to protect themselves?

"So you're saying mom triggered the power by breaking her mate bond with you? So did you guys repair the mate bond? If you did wasn't that enough to stop her from becoming evil?" My eyes shone with hope before I noticed the solemn gaze of my father.

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly, "we repaired the bond. But she only had to break the mate bond once for the blood to be triggered. We didn't know about it until one day when she was very happy," he smiled at me, the corners of his eyes crinkling, "the day you were born. That day when she held you, the window was open and you were staring at a puppy outside. She began to tell me about how she would buy you a puppy of your own. I remember she kept staring at the puppy outside until it left," I listened to my father curiously, "a couple of minutes later there was a knock on the door. It was a woman, she looked dazed. As if she wasn't fully there and in her arms she held the puppy. She sounded almost robotic when she told your mother and me that she was giving the puppy to you as a gift."

"So then the power of the silver witches isn't completely evil, right?" Jace stared at me almost cautiously as if he were waiting for me to lash out.

"Mind control is evil, honey. No matter what you use it for, you're taking away someones ability to make their own decisions. You're taking something that isn't yours to take. And the incident with the puppy was only the beginning."

"Stop," I lashed out at him, yanking my hands out of his,"I dont want to hear anymore."

"Valentin-" before he could continue I had already fled the room.

I headed towards the forest, begginning to strip when I reached the edge. I felt his presence before I saw him. The stupid effects of the mate bond were fooling me once again. They were making me want to turn around and be with him. But I ignored him and attempted to continue stripping, I had barely lifted the hem of my shirt when a low guttural growl interrupted me.

I gasped when he roughly threw me over his shoulder, yanking my shirt back down in the process. He moved me so that my legs were wrapped around his waist, my face in his neck. I quickly pulled my head away from his neck and glared at him, "what do you think youre doing?"

"I don't want other people seeing whats mine."