The Name Game A SuperCorp Coffee Shop AU

For @_lernjauregay_  

The coffee shop was busy as usual this time of morning. Kara took another order, ringing it up with a friendly and bright smile. She turned, taking the to-go cup that was handed off to her, and read the name on it. That made her pause in her routine. It was several blinks and a swallow before she could pull herself away from the cup and call out to bring the customer forward to claim their beverage.

"Superman!?"

The woman scrolling through something on her phone looked up, cocking one perfect eyebrow a bit higher as her gaze locked with Kara's. She turned casually, flipping her brunette hair to the side and held eye contact while she sauntered up to the counter. Those green eyes, sometimes as green as emeralds, sometimes looking closer to a shade of seafoam, stared mercilessly though a small and gentle smile did touch the woman's lips.

As she reached the counter, she held out a hand, taking the coffee even as she slid her usual $50 tip into the cup. "Thank You."

Kara nodded much more than was necessary. As the woman walked away with cup in hand, Kara called out, "Superman!?"

The woman turned, that eyebrow held up quizzically this time.

"Um, thank you." Kara patted the top of the tip cup. "For the tip, thank you."

This time the woman's smile grew. She raised her cup toward Kara, then took a sip. It left crimson lipstick stains on the rim as she lowered it. Then she turned and left without uttering another word.

Kara's breath left her in a shuddering noise. Though the blonde had this time managed to speak to the mystery woman who only ordered her coffee with aliases and always paid cash, Kara hadn't managed to do more than muddle through a thank you. It was hardly a success. The woman hadn't reciprocated with more than a smile and a raised cup. Again, it was more than they'd managed in the months since the woman had appeared in the coffee shop in National City, but it was hardly something. In the way of flirtations, it sucked.

"Excuse me?"

Kara was pulled out of her daydream, and her attention returned to the next customer in line. "Oh, I'm so sorry! What can I get you?"

The rest of Kara's day was more of the same. She got coffee, tea, danishes, croissants, muffins, the usual mix for patrons that came through. The morning was busy and then slowed down. She made it through the lunch crowd and then was off to school. After school she headed back home to the apartment, she shared with her sister and her sister's live-in girlfriend Maggie. It had been a bit odd at first when Maggie moved in. The cop had taken a lot of Alex's time, but now Kara was seeing Maggie as additive.

A box of leftovers from the lunch crowd in hand, Kara walked into her apartment smiling at the smell of food cooking. "Mmmm, what's for dinner?"

"What's for breakfast?" Maggie countered from the stove.

"I have a few croissants, two muffins, and some cheese danishes."

"No doughnuts?" Alex asked as she walked into the living room wearing pajama pants and a tank top.

"Nope," Kara said with a grin.

"Amazing how that keeps happening," Maggie said, narrowing her eyes at Kara as she looked over her shoulder, but grinning.

"Life's a mystery," Kara agreed, smiling back. "So, dinner?"

"Pasta Primavera," Maggie said.

"Mmmm." Embracing Maggie from behind, Alex kissed the woman's temple. "Beautiful, sexy, and you cook. How did I get so lucky?"