Chapter Two

Pattie didn't tell anyone, but she was looking for someone particular at the festival. Her eyes kept skimming the large crowd of people around her, looking for the Beatle she had met yesterday at the banquet.

The festival was filled with contests of all sorts, games, and lots of food stands. Pepperland was going to have a five-day celebration for the anniversary. Pattie knew this was a big deal, but she wasn't thinking about the celebration very much.

She milled around quite aimlessly until she came upon the pie-eating contest. There were about fifteen people gathered around to watch the contestants. And one of the contestants was George. He saw Pattie immediately, because he sent her a wide smile. She returned it warmly.

The contest hadn't begun yet and the pies were still being handed out. The contestants' hands were tied behind their backs. This was going to be messy.

Then it started.

There was laughter erupting from the crowd more than anything else. Pattie wasn't laughing, though. She cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, "You can do it, George!" He didn't act as though he could hear her, but she knew he did.

"Come on, George!" she shouted, and noticed some people looking at her strangely. She suddenly realized that she was the only Blue Meanie around and the old thought of prejudice came back. She turned her eyes away from the people staring at her and continued to cheer for George.

He won the contest by a landslide and came down from the platform, wiping the blueberry pie from his face. He joined Pattie with a "Hi," and they started walking to no particular place.

"Thanks for cheering for me," he said sheepishly.

"Don't mention it," Pattie replied light-heartedly, flapping her hand dismissively. "I knew you'd win." She looked around. "Where are your friends?"

George thought for a moment. "When we separated, Paul said he was getting his face painted, John said he was going to play and win all of the games, and Ringo went to go pet the animals."

Pattie laughed. "Well, around here, we don't have a normal petting zoo."

"Yeah, Jeremy was telling us about the different species of animals around here when he got off the submarine," George said. "They're . . . a little bit different."

Pattie looked to her left and saw a dart-balloon game. The prizes were hanging from the stand and she saw one that caught her eye. It was a beautiful bouquet of flowers that only Pepperland could have.

George noticed her staring at something and followed her gaze. "You're looking at those flowers, aren't you?"

Pattie didn't reply, just bit her lip.

"I'll get them for you," he said, and changed direction.

"Oh, no, George, you don't have to," she said, following him.

"I want to," he said and approached the stand. He dug in his pocket for some money and got six darts. The man that ran the stand stood back and crossed his arms, sporting a smug expression. Pattie wondered if anyone won this game, by the way the man was acting.

George threw the first dart and it bounced off a balloon. The man's smile widened. George's brow creased and he threw another one, just to have it bounce off again. He picked up his third dart and studied it.

"Are these darts dull?" he asked the man suspiciously.

The man came forward the pretended to examine the dart. "I don't believe they are. Perhaps if you threw them harder, sir."

"Alrighty, then," George said calmly and hurled the dart at the balloon, which bursted with a satisfying pop. He continued to throw the darts violently, only buying a few more, and then they were walking away from the stand with the bouquet.

"Crook," George muttered under his breath as they walked.

Pattie giggled. "You should have seen his face when you started popping them."

"Hey!" shouted a voice from behind. They turned and it was Paul, whiskers painted on his face, very much so resembling a cat.

"Nice face-paint, Paul," George said with a grin.

"Not mock me," Paul sassed, and then looked lovingly at the flowers. "Those are pretty. Did Georgie win them for you?"

"Yes," Pattie said shyly.

Paul winked at George and walked off.

They stood in silence for a few more seconds before Pattie felt George's warm hand grasp hers and they were walking again. "Come on. Let's go find John and warn him about that game." She suppressed a smile and followed George.