Chapter 11: The Forest

Start from the beginning

"And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?" said Malfoy,unable to keep the slight-waver of fear out of his voice. (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Page 250) 

"There's nothin' that lives in the forest that'll hurt yeh if yer withme or Fang," said Hagrid. "An' keep ter the path. Right, now, we'regonna split inter two parties an' follow the trail in diff'rentdirections. There's blood all over the place, it must've bin staggerin'around since last night at least." (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Page 250) 

"Draco and I can be a party with Fang, while you can take Ron and head down the other path," Harry suggested and Hagrid nodded in agreement.

"All right, but I warn yeh, Fang's a coward," said Hagrid. (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Page 251) 

Harry just gave Hagrid a smile and grabbed Draco's arm and Fang's collar before dragging the two slightly into the forest.

Fang bounded next to Harry as Draco clutched his wand. "You didn't have to come Draco," Harry told the other boy softly.

"Someone needs to keep you from killing Weasley. Heard he had detention too and figured I could ask Snape to give me detention for something. He agreed with me that you needed someone to keep you from doing something stupid," Draco said with a shaky grin.

Harry snorted before following the path of silver blood, every time he eyed it, a sad look crossed his face. "My dad would hate the fact that someone is killing Unicorns," Harry told Draco sadly as he knelt beside a drop and saw that it headed toward some broken bush branches.

"Everyone hates the fact that someone's killing unicorns. That's very dark magic for such a pure creature," Draco told the other boy, not understanding just how close the relationship between Percy and the Unicorns actually were.

Harry kept his mouth shut and instead, reached toward the forest with his magic. He brushed against something that made him shiver and recoil, but when he tried to find it again, it was suddenly masked and hidden.

Harry frowned, nothing should be able to do that, especially so effectively. Suddenly nervous, Harry walked quietly toward the bushes.

Reaching out with his magic again, it brushed against something that was almost neutral in magic. Surprised, he reached out and felt the magic reach toward him, almost a crass before following his magical trail.

Harry held out a hand to Draco and watched the boy instantly stop and pale before holding his wand tighter.

There was slight crunches as something came closer, and Harry almost debated if they should hide. Before the soft caress of magic made him release a tense breath.

Softly, the crunches the closer until four hooves emerged from the underbrush and Harry recognized the creature as a Centaur, like Chiron, something of a grandpa to him.

"Centaur," Harry quickly said while bowing softly to show respect.

Draco quickly followed his friend though, Harry knew his friend had no idea what was going on or how Harry knew someone was coming toward them.

"Young Sea, and Sea's Friend. My name is Ronan, I felt your magic Sea's Grandson, I wanted to meet you and warn you. Mars if bright tonight. Be careful young mage," Ronan said as he bowed back to the two boys.

Harry slowly straighten himself while filing through Roman names before remembering Mars was the god of war. Great.

"Your warning is much appreciative. Do you know my father's Camp Director by any chance?" Harry asked softly, trying not to give any clues to Draco who his father might be.