"Oh, hey!" Sam said when he noticed Alex sitting on the fountain. "It's Alexander, right?" 

"Alex, please," he responded with a smile. 

Like last time, Sam was right next to Charles, who looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. Really, like he wanted to be anywhere else. He glanced at the letter on the jack that Alex was wearing and smirked. 

"So, Hamilton, where'd ya get the letterman? As far as I know, there isn't a single 'J' in your name." Sam glared at Charles, who just shrugged like he didn't know that went against the rules of having great people skills. 

Alex rolled his eyes and shoved his hands into his pockets. "I got it from my brother." 

"Really? Because if I'm right about where I think you got it, which I'm almost positive I am, then I'd say that the little loudmouth got himself a boyfriend. Why don'tcha tell Jefferson I said hi, huh?" 

"And why would you think it's his?" 

Charles just shrugged and smirked like he knew exactly what to say, he just didn't want to say it for the sole purpose of driving Alex insane.

"You realize that we've interacted a total of once, right?" 

"And I've learned so much about you from that and since then. Amazing what some studying does. But, that also includes your relationship past." Charles shrugged. "Word travels fast." 

"Charlie, I think that's enough," Sam muttered, obviously noticing the oncoming confrontation. 

"No, I think that it's a valid argument! What was it again? You cheated, right? Better yet, I think I actually remember it being something along the lines of you paying to keep her on the side!" 

"Yeah, well you seem to be leaning to being an emotionally manipulative asshat, at least bordering abusive, from the way that he's hanging off your arm, so why don't you just fuck right off." Hamilton crossed his arms. He knew that it probably not true considering how nervous and lost Samuel looked the last time they met when Charles walked off. It was all a part of the plan if he got his guess right. 

Samuel's grip looked like it tightened around Charles's arm and the color was gone from his face. Charles glared at Hamilton. "I'd watch what you're saying there, Hamilton."

Sam took a deep breath and looked Alexander in the eyes. 

"Charles, could I talk to him?" Sam asked. "Alone." 

"I really don't think--" 

Sam cut him off with a hard and serious look. He let go of Lee's arm so he could walk off, which he did with an annoyed grumble while shoving his hands aggressively in his sweater pockets. Sam looked back at Alex. 

"You're trying to get to him," he said. He looked like he was trying to keep up all the confidence that he possibly could without Lee on his arm. 

"I am, but I didn't know that it really happened to you," Alex said apologetically. He was silently cheering himself for actually getting it right. It was more than a longshot, but it was worth it, even though the other man looked ready to pass out. "Here, let me see your phone." 

Sam looked suspiciously at Alexander's extended hand.

"Come on, I'm not going to steal it. I'm just going to give you my number. So we can maybe hang out sometime, you know?" 

The nervous man nodded slowly and handed Alex his phone. Alex quickly punched in his phone number to his 'work phone', since it was on vibrate, and handed the phone back. He smiled and waved the conversation away with a quick goodbye. He didn't really see any reason to stick around with Sam if the job was done and if the object of the job would rather be somewhere else. 

He took out the phone when he was far enough away and looked through his call directory to find Samuel's number. As soon as he found it, he texted it to the person that asked for it initially. He didn't quite understand the job at first, but after the situation was over, he found himself worrying that he just gave an innocent man's contact information to a former abuser that was blocked for a reason.

Alex felt guilt rising up in him for bringing the other man to the brink of a full-blown panic attack with one insult and then sending out his phone number. He forced himself to push it down though. It didn't matter how he got the job done, as long as it was done. It didn't matter what the job was, it only mattered how much he was paid. Especially with the pay that this one was offering? It would definitely help him and Peter out with hospital bills. That's all he had to keep in mind to justify his actions.

Think of your mom, he reminded himself as he made his way back to the dorm building. Think of your mom and how much she needs the money. Or about Peter and how much he might need it. They matter. No one else.

He just kept repeating those words to himself as he walked away.