At this, my head shot up to look him in the eyes. Meet me? No... I let go of the man in my grip, dropping him to the floor before taking several steps back.
"What the hell?" Damon groaned out as he slid to the floor.
"What did you say, Damon?" Stefan asked, clearly just as confused as I was, before glancing to me.
"What the hell?" He responded flatly. Stefan stepped forward, helping his brother to his feet. He looked directly at him before asking once more.
"Before that Damon? You said it was a pleasure to meet her?".
"Huh... would've thought the sarcasm was clear from context, brother" Damon quipped, before glaring at me. After helping his brother to his feet, Stefan also turned to face me and I felt my anger dissipate. The realisation struck me harder than I thought it would.

He had forgotten me.

I sped off as quickly as I could. Leaving the two brothers standing in their parlour, just as confused as I was.
"Well she was cute" he smirked, "and a lot stronger than she looks" Damon winced and traced his fingers over his throat as the bruises faded. At this Stefan turned back around to face his brother, he grabbed him by the shoulders, brows furrowing.
"Tell me you know who she is" he asked, his voice ladened with a hint of anger.
"No, I've never met her!" he said, before noticing the sincerity in his brothers expression. "What's the big deal?" He pushed Stefans' arms  away, clearly annoyed and confused at the entire situation.

__________________________

By the time I arrived back at the motel I was staying in, it was well past midnight. I just wanted to sleep and forget about today... But to my surprise there was a figure leaning against the wall outside of my room. 

As I approached, the figure pushed herself off the wall with her hip, before standing to face me. Her long brown hair was curled and wild. I realised who it was immediately.
"Hey Grace... Are you okay?" she asked softly.
"Nice try, Katerina" I responded flatly. The soft, kind voice she was putting on was clearly an impression of Elena.
"Ooh cold" she noted sourly, "was it the hair that gave me away?" She inquired, tilting her head slightly as her silhouette stepped into the light. I ignored her taunting as I unlocked my door, heading into my room and sitting on the bed heavily.
"Aw, did someone have a rough night?" She tried again, pouting in mockery as she leaned on my door frame once more.
"What do you want, Katerina?" I groaned. My chance of getting to her by surprise was ruined. She always had been slippery. But if she came to me like this then she must be on her guard, trying anything now would be pointless. She had the upper hand, and she knew it.
"That tone? With an old friend?" She started, feigning hurt in her voice. "Although, I was going to ask you the same thing, I heard there was a new vampire in town you see...." she paused, walking into the room, her heeled boots clicking against the wooden floor. "... It didn't take me long to get your name from Caroline" She smiled at me falsely before mimicking Caroline's energetic voice "Grace? She's a friend of Stefans!" She sighed, sauntering over to to the chair opposite me and relaxing into it.
"It didn't take too long to put two and two together and find you either, but as for why you're here... I'm stumped" she paused again, tilting her head at me and smirking. "For five hundred years you've avoided me out of fear, why come running back to this town now?" She enquired.

That was it. I stood up and walked over to her. I grabbed her by the collars of her jacket and pulled her up, the chair falling to the ground as  I slammed her into the back wall.
"Let's get one thing clear, Katherine" I spat angrily, "You thought wrong if you believed my fear was because of you, I could rip you apart limb by limb and not even flinch" each syllable I uttered was filled with venom, yet the hint of fear in Katerinas' eyes told me that I got my message across. "You're not the only one my brother has been chasing" I finished bitterly, before letting her go and turning away. She laughed at that, strangely.
"I wouldn't be so sure of that" she teased in a sing-song voice. "But anyways, I have been wracking my brain thinking of why you would come here". I turned to face her just then, something about her sarcastic tone made me flinch, she couldn't know, could she? "Unless... this has something to do with a certain blue-eyed Salvatore" she smirked at me, eyes glistening. As upset and confused as I was, Damon was never my objective here. Still, her remark made me freeze in place, how did she even know about us?

Katherine took my stunned silence as another point in her favour. I decided not to attempt to correct her; she can think what she likes about me, as long as she doesn't work out that it's her i'm after. I turned away from her once more, as if things weren't confusing enough in this town.
"Ooh I struck a nerve there" Katerina noted.

It was then, whilst my back was turned that I felt a sudden immense pain, a wooden stake jutted through my stomach from behind.
"It must hurt to know that he loved me more than he ever did you..." She said quietly from behind me, her hands twisting the stake, causing my mouth to fall open and my vision to blur. "...Infact, he loved me so much that he forgot all about you, Grace" with that, she pushed me to the ground, I grunted in pain as I hit the floor, yet I managed to put my arm behind me to begin removing the stake. "For an Original you're really quite pathetic". I grimaced in pain, my hands covered in blood, as I started to pull on the stake. "Screw you, Katerina" I responded in a pained voice as the stake finally came free. I sat panting on the ground as my wounds slowly healed. "Just don't get in my way" she finished, realising that she didn't have long, before speeding out.

That was a surprisingly desperate move for her... It was clear that I had become a hitch in Katerinas' plans that she never expected to face.