"Well good to see you William! " called Rutherford. Cap cringed a little and Chyna cracked a smile to stifle her laugh.

"hey Dr. Rutherford " Cap greeted.

"what can I do for you? " Rutherford asked.

"I -" Cap stopped and Chyna chuckled silently,  he knew this was going to be painfully comical.

Cap let out a long sigh and lifted his hair away from his forehead exposing the small red mark which was far darker now.

"kinda hit my head" said Cap. 

Rutherford rushed to examine him.  "how so? " he asked.

"he fel-" Cotton started loudly Chyna quickly grabbed Cotton's arm and pushed her finger to her lips.  Cotton gasped and then nodded while giggling.

"on the job, just wasn't  watching that branch." Cap said his lie coming put as smooth as the truth.

" you ain't got much luck with trees...maybe try a different profession " muttered Rutherford as he focused on Cap's forehead.

"just needs a cold pack on it,  try a raging In cold water" Rutherford  said.

Cap nodded "right,  well see we also got another problem -Chyna" Cap called Chyna quickly lowered her posture and stepped forward.

Cap frowned,  he hated how she did that, just sank into herself.

"show 'im your arms" Cap urged.  Chyna lifted her arms.  "ah....another one" Rutherford said darkly before turning on his heel and heading for a shelf of ointments.

Chyna and Cap glanced at each other.  "whats that supposed to mean? " Cap asked.

"be the 5th colored this week to stop by with burns... Most worse than this. Been a string of fires.  Might wanna go down to The Shanty at the edge of town the bar all them go to" Rutherford  said.

Chyna paled a bit and her eyes wandered over to Cap. Who was gazing hard at the ground.

Rutherford returned with a bottle of white ointment  "twice  day for 3 weeks,  maybe longer.  And keep the burns clean" he said.

Chyna nodded and Cap paid Rutherford  "thank you doctor " he  said ushering Chyna and Cotton out of the apothecary.

"fires?  Setting  fire.... Cap-" Chyna whispered as they stood outside.

"yeah,  I know.  There's a reason why ain't many colored folk in these parts but... Thought these groups had been run off ten years ago" Cap said quietly.

"what groups Cap? " Cotton asked. 

"bad people Cot"said Chyna.

"Cotton why don't  you go find my ma.  We got a few more things to  see too" Cap said.  Cotton nodded "okay,  see you guys soon" he called with a wave before walking off.

The afternoon sun brought welcomed warmth to the slight chill of the late autumn day.

Chyna and Cap headed to the edge of town.  Cap watched Chyna with a air of irritation.  She still had that stance

"why do you do that? " he asked her.

Chyna looked up at him confused "what am I doin? " she asked.

"all sunk in and stooped down like you is tryin to be child sized or something like your hidding " Cap said.

Chyna blinked a few times and looked down.  "it's jus what we do,  we do this so no one else will think we mean no harm or disrespect..." she said.