↝twenty nine

MALLIE SAT FOR ONLY A MOMENT longer, tears shining as she looked over the contents of the box for what felt like the hundredth time

She quickly packed everything that she'd unloaded from the box back into it and placed the lid back on.

Mallie gathered her things and held the box against her chest as she carried herself out of the hospital wing, offering a last thanks to Madam Pomfrey.

She could feel the eyes of the people she passed in the corridor, Mallie knew it couldn't be a secret as to why she had been in the hospital.

Several turned to each other, whispering.

She subconsciously tugged her blue sweatshirt higher up on her shoulders in attempt to cover the pink scars that glistened in the light of the corridors.

The corridors, lit on each side with its usual tall shining lamps, were adorned with Christmas decorations from tinsel to mistletoe.

"Mallie?" It was said so softly, Mallie barely heard it against the icy winds blowing outside against the castle.

But she slowed and turned around, Fred stood looking at her with wide unsure eyes.

"Mallie?" He said again, he had half hoped she wouldn't hear him the first time.

Mallie met his brown eyes that were so similar, yet so worldly different to his twins.

Fred took short unsure steps to Mallie, who still hadn't said anything.

She adjusted the box in her arms, Fred's eyes flickered down in recognition when he noticed it.

He brought them back up to meet Mallie's, which were soft with kindness,

"I'm sorry." He let out with as much bravery as he could muster.

Although, he found himself stronger than George when dealing with what they had done, he still had spent countless nights staring at Sam's bunk above him, guilt washing over him again and again.

Memories of times she'd been kind, and times she'd laughed, when she spoke about the Yule Ball with wonder in her words played on repeat every time he closed his eyes.

Mallie smiled softly, she leaned down and placed the gift from George on the floor beside her, Fred's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Was she going to punch him?

She straightened up again, and Fred almost thought she would, when she launched herself as softly as she could into Fred's torso.