Chapter 15: Truth Be Told.

Start from the beginning

The creepy, deathly silence afterwards was like the moments after a murder, however that just made the words he uttered resound in my head.

"Nothing at all....."

_____________________________________________________________________________

I blinked, shocked to the bone at the scene before me. 

The civilians of Ottawa were screaming in fear as the enemy soldiers stormed towards their home. They shot out blindly towards them, and a few fell to the ground like sacks of meat. The canadain troops soon came dashing round the streets. The civilians scrambled for a place to go, anywhere to get away from the nightmare. The buildings were on fire, yet it seem almost as if that was normal. The houses were falling donw, yet they didn't complain.

The soldiers shot at each other, and the loud sounds mixed in the air. I recoil slightly, and look at the flags on the uniforms. The canadan flag was large on the one, almost wrapping around the whole of the width if the arm, yet the others was too far away to see.

One came running towards me, and I step back a few time. He reaches out to me, and falls as a bullet hits him near the stomach. I stare wide eyes, and swallow my fear. Walking forward, I step through the warm pool of blood, my bare feet getting wet,the bottom of the pure white being stained red. I kneel next to him, the dress coming to the middle of my things, and  I lift his arm up slightly and turn him over. He groans slightly, meaning he was still alive, and I turn him onto his back. I cradle his head in my hands and stare into his eyes. They looked familiar, yet I could not quite tell from who. I gently take the strap of the helmet, undo the clasp, and pull it gently off the persons dark green, fabric covered helmet. 

I pale as I look at the soft, smooth skin of my mediteranian friend. Ital lay in my lap, dying, as I place his helmet on the floor. The look in his eye was one of happiness as they slowly faded. I cry tears of overwhelming sadness as he strokes my cheek caringly with a bloodied hand. I hold his hand against my cheek, the coldness of it not normal. I smile at him, trying to hide my pain, and kiss the top of his head.

"I'm glad.... I get to see.....you, bella..... before I die...." His whispered words make my heart strings twang. The tears from my eyes speed up slightly as his smile doesn't move.

The tears never stopped as he slowly closed his eyes.

Everything goes silent, the slow-motion effect taking place, and I stop breathing. His hand drops out of my grip, falling to the floor slowly, as if having to slice through steel to get there. My eyes widen as it hits the puddle, the splash sound hitting my ears loud and clear. The tears well in my eyes in large pools, ad they drip down my face quickly. The grief makes my heart throb in my chest, and my breaths become laboured from the lump in my throat. His head goes limp in my arms, and I place him slowly on the ground. I move to his chest, and kneel next to him.

I place my hands over his heart and bite my lip. The tears come fresh as I count in my head, for every number a compression. I cry as there was no response in his dead body.

"28....29...30" I stop counting, and move to his mouth. I pull his head back, and hold his nose. I breath in deeply, then close my lips around his cold ones. I breath out, then move back. Letting go of his nose, I watch his chest fall down quickly. I do it again. The air rushes out quickly, as if no muscle was even trying to hold it in.

I continue to do CPR for 5 more minuets, and get no response. I move my hands away from his chest, and just stare at him with dead eyes. Every single emotion in my body had died and hid out of sight. I could no longer feel the beat of my heart in my chest as I look at his pale skin and still body. Tears no longer flooded my face, and I couldn't make out a single noise going on. I look to the necklace around his neck, and a saddened smile twitches at my lips. The pain returns in my heart, and I unclasp it. It was a necklace with a blacky green stone in the midle, and a silver cage surrounding it. I had given it to him a few dayys ago, as a good luck charm. He said he would wear it until the day he dies... Or so the memory in my head said.