BUSY FALLING TO DEATH? HOW ABOUT A FLASHBACK?

Start from the beginning

“Anyway,” Kai interrupted, “Black Death or The Great Plague as it is known, wiped out more than two thirds of the population of Europe. In a word, it was the most horrible epidemic in history. Historians generally attribute it to the unhygienic conditions of the time, but it was actually due to a failed experiment."

“Experiment?”

“Yes. Heard of Akhlys? She was the Greek goddess of poison, strife, agony, basically all things painful. The Akhlys Crest is said to have driven hordes of people out of their mind. Now, I don’t think I have to tell you what it actually was.”

“Poison.” Lanza felt a shudder down his spine.

“Right. A vial of poison to be specific. In those days, the Guild used to be actively involved in military conquest. Well, someone had the great idea to clone the Akhlys Poison. The result was.. "

“ It seems that Sakyo was able to clone the power of invisibility. Which brings us to our current situation.” Elisa summed up.

“ So now we have got more shit to deal with. Great. For all we know,  we might have little invisible killer bots tracking us right now. "

“Actually I don’t think we are being followed. Arden's guys aren’t fools. They would know if we are being followed."

“ You think. Well, that makes me feel so much better.”

Lanza had actually planned to KO Kai with that sarcasm. Turned out he had worse plans for him.

“That brings us to the present, anyway. Elisa figures that Sakyo is somewhere around.”

Lanza’s ears perked up.

“ Here?  In Florida?”

“Yes.” Kai stared out of the window.

Lanza waited for an explanation, but Kai was too engrossed in the view from the glass walls.

The sun was already pretty high up in the sky. The city of Florida glimmered in the light. Out in the distance, the ocean glowed an azure blue. Lanza wished he could be at one of those beach parties.

But, here he was, trying to take back a piece of technology he didn't even know about from a totally bloodthirsty maniac who had killed his parents. Sometimes he wished he could spank the God of Fate with an extra large bathroom brush.

“Well, we should be heading out.” Elisa warned.

“ Yeah. “ Lanza got up, hoping nobody would notice.

“ We, as in Kai and me. “ Elisa clarified.

Lanza flopped back down on the leather chair. Right, why was he ever gonna be in the cool missions?  Lanza, catch that thief. Lanza, play dress up with Amy (don’t ask). That was all he got. Oh, did he mention whacking bots out of Memphis?

“ Don’t look so down. “ Kai amended. “You will have Elsa on board.”

Kai could have very well told him that there was a statue on board. Talking to Teta was about as easy as solving integration on a raft in a shark infested sea.

Kai seemed to realize he wasn’t scoring brownie points with him.

“ Lanza, they need you here. “ he tried.

“ I don’t see why. They are doing pretty well keeping the shift aloft. I will only be in their way.”

“ Sometimes, being present matters.” Kai looked past the glass towards the horizon.