ITS OKAY. YOU CAN ALWAYS DIE AFTER MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF.

Reno rubbed his cheek. Being slapped twice in a day was something he wasn't used to. He looked at the girl . She had a pure white hair, and a skinny frame which looked as if it would snap any time. For some reason, she had her uniform on. He couldn't quite make out the logo.
" You aint my mama, girl. Get out of my business. ", he spoke with a courage he didn't feel ( don't believe what others say, he did not squeak )
The girl looked at him up and down.
" Its always my business when someone badmouths my comrades."
" I would apologise to him when I feel like it. Don't stick your butt, bitch."
" OK. That's enough.", Lanza growled, " Matters would get worse if I kill you before we get to Wallace. And Elisa? It is kind of rude to slap him out of nowhere, even though it was funny like hell."
" Wallace? What does he want?", Reno asked, surprised.
" Your execution would probably the reason.", Elisa, the slapper spoke up.
And with that happy thought, Lanza helped him out of bed.
" Come, let's get you skewered. "

Reno walked down the familiar path to Wallace's office. With each step, he felt a strange chill. Memories of Wallace's scythe and Elsa's voice flashed in his mind. Wallace growling in his awkward voice, Elsa in his battle armour and her rejection......
Lanza and Elisa seemed to be lost in their own worlds, each thinking something different. Reno noticed their hands brushing against each other. Couples seemed to be everywhere nowadays.
The door to Wallace's office was open. As Reno walked in, all eyes turned on him. There was Wallace, sitting as usual at his desk. Kai stood beside Elsa at one side of the room. There were others too, a bald man with a dragon's tattoo and a girl with a lab coat on.  He should have been panicked. He should have been scared out of his mind. But holding the Book of Thoth in his hand, he felt a lot calmer. Lanza and Elisa stood behind him, with two other guys.
Wallace stared at him, " You came."
Reno nodded, trying not to flinch.
" Do you know how many codes you violated?"
Reno shook his head. He felt a sudden urge to say DUH, LIKE YOU DIDNT KNOW! But judging by the glares they were giving, it wouldn't do him much good.
" Renaissance, Activation 362P. Display Code Violation of recruit 4375."
A metallic voice clanked-
" Recruit 4375.
Name: Reno Nevada.
Squad: Undetermined.
Weapon: Classified.
Codes Violated:
1. 3.1A unauthorized use of violence on guild members.
2. 4.5D Misuse of Soul Gate.
3. 5.1E Violation of Icarus Principle."
" He violated the Icarus Principle. Enough reason to guillotine him." , Mr. Skull Tattoo said.
" I second that.", a blue haired guy with a guitar case slung across him commented.
Lanza spoke out, " You people , don't act like goodie shoes. Sky, how many times have you broken Elisa's orders? What about you Arden? The Build squad is still running red on finance."
The guy named Arden banged his fists, " You know very well why......The quantum teleporter was destroyed by some cheeky little brat with a Spanish name. "
Lanza whistled innocently, " Who could that be?"
" OK. Stop.", Wallace cut through. " What about the others? "
" He could do well with another chance.", the girl pointed out.
" Or he could ruin the guild.", Kai pointed out.
" True enough. Wouldn't want scum like him in the team.", Elisa spoke out.
Wallace cracked his knuckles. " What about you Elsa?"
Elsa looked at Reno and then at the others. " I don't know. I will go with whatever the others decide."
Perfect, Reno thought. A textbook answer. Don't take blame at all. Elsa was more clever than she looked.
" The majority is against you. Would you like to appeal?", Wallace asked.
" It doesn't really matter, does it? You people are going to do whatever you decide. No point in asking me. "
Arden snorted, " This guy has cheek."
" Plenty of it.", the red haired girl agreed.
" That's true", Wallace mused, " Killing you would be the most suitable answer. However, keeping in mind all this trouble started because I broke the promise, I think you can be forgiven this time."
Reno couldn't believe his ears. He was about to do his Yippee dance, but then he managed to constrain himself.
The others didn't seem to be very happy. Especially, Kai and Elisa.
" This is a mistake, Wallace.", Kai answered.
" Maybe.", Wallace agreed, " Let's make this mistake right. I , for one, am to blame as well."
" But.....", Elisa complained, " He violated Icarus principle. Shouldn't he .....?"
"He isn't technically a part of the guild yet. Besides, he did help to bring back your staff which you lost."
Elisa looked down and mumbled some sort of an apology. Then he looked at Reno and swore under her breath. You would be surprised how similar they sounded. Also the fact that the Loki's Sceptre belonged to her made her all the more dangerous.
Lanza snorted, " Renaissance said he was undetermined. What squad is he going to be under? "
" Good question. Arden?"
Skull head aka Arden looked like he had been asked to eat shit.
" Me? Are you crazy Wallace? The Build department is already overflowing with applications. You think we have place for rodents like him?"
Reno could have asked him to define rodents. But he kept quiet. The wise wait for the right moment.
Wallace looked at him. " Guess not. What about you Stella? "
Stella, thered haired girl sized Reno up. " Do you have any credentials? "
" Meaning?"
" Any certificates showing your medical talent? "
Reno thought about the first aid box the class had been asked to make back in 8th grade. She probably didn't mean those.
" No. ", He admitted.
" Then it can't be helped. The Heal Squad doesn't accept untrained newbies."
Reno couldn't help admiring her speech. She had been polite all along, yet firmly rejecting him.
" I guess that leaves the Scorch Squad.", Wallace sighed.
" You are kidding me.", Kai told him.
" Got to agree on this, Wallace ", Lanza scoffed." You seriously aren't thinking of having the pig in the squad."
" And have you all forgotten the existence of the intel division in the squad?", Wallace threw back." They actually require guys with brains."
" Brains? ", Lanza laughed, " The guy who attacks the guild moderator with a novice weapon and pees in his pants has brains?"
" Better than knowing  everything and knocking the moderator down.", Reno snapped.
" It was to defend a snotty nerd who couldn't even defend."
" You guys.", Wallace growled, " Let's hope none of you have to be disciplined. "
Reno shut up immediately. Being on the end of Wallace's scythe was an experience nobody wished to have twice.
Lanza grumbled, " You being boss doesn't mean we are going to recruit pigs."
Wallace smiled." Actually I may have a solution to that problem."
" You do ?" Elisa blurted out.
" A Trial.", Wallace answered, " If Reno passes, he gets to join."
" And if I fail ?" ,Reno asked, his voice on the squeaky side.
" If he fails, we will go with the usual procedure and kill him."
The word kill brought chill to the air. Reno was sure he didn't want to have anything to  with the usual procedure.
" I am fine with that.", Kai spoke up, " Unless anyone else objects?"
Nobody raised their hands. Guess they all wanted to see Reno get skewered.
" What about you, Reno? Any queries?", Wallace asked.
" What exactly is a trial?"
" A test. The judges will judge you as they wish."
" Do I know who is going to judge?"
" The Squad leader, in this case, Kai."
Reno looked at him. He didn't seem to have  made a very good first impression on him.
" Anything else?"
" Just one more thing.", Reno stared directly at Wallace. " Where was the washroom again ?" 

The first time Reno saw the field, his mouth fell open. Like literally.
Lanza and Elisa had escorted ( read emotionally bullied )him to the way there. They had climbed 50 stairs, rolled down a barbed wire fence and jumped into a air conditioned tunnel with old disco songs playing in order to land . The fact is, there is something extremely demoralising when the two people in front of you do things as easily as jogging and you end up slopping 10 metres behind them.
" Is this thing for real? How could this large a place exist under the earth?"
" We call it Asphodel."
Reno remembered the name. After spirits were judged in by the judges of the underworld, most of them were sent to the field of Asphodel. It was a place for souls with nothing special. The name made sense. A undetermined novice in Asphodel.
The arena was bounded by stone walls all round. From a cleave in it, hung the banner of the guild. Just out the demarcation line, the judges were in place. Wallace stood on a podium behind them, dresses in a black robe, his eyes shining with anticipation. On the other side of the field, a girl of his age stood shining her weapon, making Reno want to run away.
More people had gathered downed the edges. Getting novices knocked down was good entertainment after all.
Wallace coughed politely. All talking died down.
" GUILD!", he roared, " We have gathered to witness the TRIAL of novice Reno Nevada. If he wins, we shall solemnly welcome him as a brother of arms. If he fails, he will be branded as a traitor for his crimes and executed."
The crowd cheered. A bit more at the execution part.
Kai cleared his throat. " The judges have decided to leave the judgement to RENAISSANCE in order to remain impartial. Permission to execute code?"
Wallace stared at him." Permission granted."
" What the hell is Renaissance? A robot ?"
Lanza grinned, " Close, but not exactly piggy. Renaissance is an AI .He is the boss round here. Every thing digital runs through his OS. And 20 km below the earth we need a lot of digital."
" Oh seems cool."
" Definitely. Not for you though, you won't be getting any favours."
" If I fail, are you guys seriously going to kill me?"
" Yes. "
Reno took a deep breath, " Its just another test, right?"
" Yup only this time your life is in the line."
The whirring of machinery brought their conversation to a stop. A huge holographic screen popped up on the west wing.
Renaissance's metallic drawl sounded.
" Reno Nevada. Recruit 4375.
You have been assigned to me for judgement. My databases indicate you are proficient enough on academic matters, so it will be futile to test you. However , your analytical skills must be tested.
Please answer this:
After an earthquake, what should be the first move taken?"
Reno thought about it. " Moving to a higher ground with as many survivors as possible. Because just after an earthquake, the earth itself becomes a sinkhole and underground water table often rises to flood the surrounding areas. The safest option is to move to a higher ground."
Reno heard murmurs all around. He picked up quire a number of bored faces. They didn't come for a stupid Q/A session. They wanted to see the blood.
" Excellent. You shall now be tested on your field skills as you wish to join the scorch squad."
An excited buzz went all around. Reno felt his heart sink. If it was going to be running and jumping, he was going to be no good.
" You shall engage in a mock battle with a random opponent. You will be judged on your agility, physical prowess and quick thinking. It is a no bars match. You can use your Soul Gates and Guild Weapons."
" Soul gates?", Reno asked.
" Weapon enhancers.", Arden replied from behind him. "Most of them are designed by the Build Squad, so watch your podex if  your opponent has one."
" Only those which don't blow up in your face.", Lanza assured.
Before Arden could make path breaking strides in curse languages, Reno asked, " How do I get one?"
Arden laughed, " You don't."
Reno protested, " That's so unfair. "
" Ever hear the phrase, " Everything is fair in love and war"?"
" I thought that was " with girls" and "school canteens"?"
Arden puffed up like a balloon. A muscular balloon at that.
" Listen here, you...."
" The opponent is decided.. It is Keir Logan from the Build Squad! ", Renaissance digital voice shattered Arden's protest.
A roar went up the crowd. Probably the Build squad members didn't get to bully too much.
" Show em' Logan."
" Yeah babe. Kick that newbie out!"
It was the exactly the kind of support Reno wanted for his first battle.
" Well, what's the worst that can be? ", he muttered and walked in.
And because he was Reno Nevada, he tripped on his own shoelace and fell down. A snicker passed through the crowd.
" You know, you could always fall down.", Lanza answered.