CHAPTER 28: THE FLIGHTLESS BUTTERFLY

'If I fall, please catch me. Even if you hate me'

I don't own any of Riverdale, only my characters

People like to say that the death of Jason Blossom changed everything at Riverdale High.
But certain things, certain traditions never change.
Take Homecoming, for instance.
Though Jason's jersey had been retired, the Riverdale Bulldogs would still be playing their arch-rivals, the Baxter High Ravens, with the River Vixens cheering them on.
As in previous years, graduates from days of Riverdale Past will come to town to relive their more youthful, more carefree days.
Or to make up for lost time.

I could already here them, the whispers, I can already feel the eyes burning into my back. My body squeezing through the crowds of Riverdale my head low and my grip on my bag tight, I don't want them to look at me and pity me, I don't need it, not today. Mom had offered for me to stay home but I wasn't going to let that steroid using asshole win, not now not ever. I haven't seen him today, nor any of my friends, Marcus was with my last night asking me if I was alright, my answer always staying the same. I'm fine. Am I fine? At times yes, I'm as dandy as a daisy. Other times, then no, I'm not fine but you're not aloud to know that. Because the truth is, no one cares, they only ask you if your fine because they have to. Other than that there's no other reason.
My feet were moving on their own, shuffling through the hall making my way to my locker. Who knew I'd be redeemed to this level, the quiet loner dodging all possible human interaction. I guess the social butterfly lost her wings.

My hands grabbed hold of my lock, I slowly put my code in and opened the door. I sighed shuffling through my things grabbing my books for first period, then I felt a presence behind me. I turned my head around seeing Archie standing behind me, he moved so he stood next to me a comforting smile on his face. "Hey Anna" he said "hey Archie" I replied pulling my jacket tighter around me, "are you okay, after the party you didn't reply to any of us. We just want to know if you're okay?" Archie said his brows furrowing. "I'm fine Archie, I just needed some space. Some time to think" I shrugged "you know we're all here for you right? You're our friend, we'll always be here for you" He said. I nodded pursing my lips, Archie than lent down and wrapped his arms around me. I couldn't help but hug back, burying my face in his neck and trying not to cry. He held me tight rubbing my back softly, we remained like that for a few seconds my eyes stinging and my nose red. But we pulled back, my hands instantly wiping under my eyes stopping the flow of tears. "Thanks Archie" I said giving him a small smile "just remember okay" he said his hand sitting on my shoulder. I nodded in reply, I shut my locker after grabbing my books and began walking with Archie through the hall towards the student lounge.
We were both quiet, I assumed since Archie is slightly nosy he'd be poking around me trying to get answers but he didn't say anything, he kept quiet, and for that I'm thankful. I don't want to talk about it right now. But our silence didn't stop the eyes I felt, it was as I was branded the high school weirdo that smelt like hot dogs. I guess Annabelle Underwoods just lost her confidence, social status and intimidation among everyone, great. We both slinked inside the lounge, my vision was quickly cut off with black hair and my body felt tight. Veronica was wrapped around me, her arms holding me tight. "Anna, are you alright?" She asked pulling away her eyes wide "I'm fine" I nodded my smile sheepish, "are you sure because it's perfectly fine if you aren't" she spoke quickly. "Veronica trust me, I'm fine" I said, "I'm so sorry about what happened, and I'm sorry that Chuck told everyone" she replied a tone of sympathy in her voice, something I didn't want or need. "Don't be sorry, it isn't your fault. It's no ones" I said giving her a reassuring look, Veronica pursed her lips before embracing me once squeezing tightly. "You can talk to me whenever, okay?" She said still hugging me, I patted her back slightly "I know" I said as she pulled back.