6. the only exception - stan uris

Requested?:
Yes: []
No: [✔️]

Song?: Yes; "The Only Exception" by Paramore

The entirety of Derry's high school knew of [Y/N] [L/N]. She was the new girl this year. And, boy, did she shake up the school. She was known for her gorgeous looks: [h/l] [h/c] hair, flawless [s/c]-colored skin, and shining [e/c] eyes. She had every boy swooning. Many has tried to win the girl over, but all had failed.

[Y/N] was not like the other girls who would say yes to any boy who asked them. She was impossible to please, according to the boys. No matter what you did, she would refuse a date. Some thought it was because she had a crush on someone who hadn't ask, and others believed she was just difficult.

Among the few who hadn't tried for [Y/N] was the group of friends, the boys from the Losers Club: Bill Denbrough, Stan Uris, Eddie Kaspbrak, Richie Tozier, Mike Hanlon, and Ben Hanscom. Their reasons varied. Bill was too nervous, Eddie thought she carried some contagious disease, Ben liked Beverly Marsh, Mike was homeschooled and didn't know her too well, and Stan knew she would refuse the poor boy's attempt.

Richie Tozier, on the other hand, was about to go for the girl. Despite the objections from his friends, the boy walked up to [Y/N] at her locker. "Hey," he spoke, making the girl close her locker with and eyeroll and a dull look. "What's up?"

"What do you want, Tozier?" asked [Y/N], bored already of their conversation. "I have places to go, people to see."

Richie leaned against the lockers. "Speaking of those, how would you like to go to the movies, and see me. That's a place, and I'm a person. What do you say?" he questioned with a wink.

[Y/N] tilted her head and gave an annoyed smile. "How about I go away from you and see people who I actually want to be around," she answered. She turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Richie by the lockers, mouth open.

His friends chuckled as he stomped back to them, muttering under his breath. "We told you it was a bad idea," Ben told him. The boy got a middle finger in return. The friends rolled their eyes and went outside to grab their bikes.

They all headed towards their homes, and Stan headed to the Synagogue, where he studied in his father's office. While he pedaled down the road, he thought about the situation with [Y/N]. He was in the same position as everyone else: he liked her. But, he knew that she wouldn't go for someone like him, a Jewish boy with a mound of unruly hair and lame clothes. It would be unthinkable.

As he turned down a new street, his eyes caught onto something, or rather someone. A figure sat on the curb, hands over their ears. Pulling over like the good-natured person he is, he walked in front of the person. When they glanced up, he almost fell over.

[Y/N] gave the boy a curious look as she uncovered her ears, eyes puffy from crying which had stopped by then. Sniffling slightly, she lowered her eyes again. "What do you want?" she asked, harshly.

"Nothing," Stan replied. "I just wanted to see if you were okay. Are you?" [Y/N] wanted to say yes, but she couldn't lie. Not right now, anyways. She only shook her head. "What's wrong?" Stan popped down the stand on his bike and carefully sat onto the curb beside her.

[Y/N] sighed. "Just listen," she whispered, and they became quiet. As soon as their talking ceased, Stan heard shouting and cursing coming from inside the house behind them.

"You can tell me," Stan placed his hand on her shoulder. Her eyes squeezed tightly shut as she contemplated his offer. "I promise, I won't tell anyone anything you say."

"Alright," [Y/N] said. "Those are my parents," she started with a shaky tone. "When I was younger, my mom and dad got divorced. It hit them both really hard. I lived with my mom only, and then we moved here. I haven't seen my dad for years. Then, suddenly, he shows up at our front door and they start fighting. Just like they used too."

Stan looked over at her. Her gaze was narrowed at the pavement, as she tapped her foot. "I'm sorry," was all he could say.

[Y/N] turned her head towards him. "Thanks," she answered. "I hate it. This is reason I am the way I am." Stan gave her a curious look, so she continued, "My mom always told me how awful my dad was, and she never let me or herself forget about it. I saw what their divorce did to them. It scared me, honestly. I didn't want to feel like they did: falling in love then getting it torn into shreds like that. I told myself that I would never let that happen to me."

"Is that why you always refuse when the guys ask you out?" Stan asked.

[Y/N] nodded. "I always say no, because what happens if I start to love them, and then they break my heart. I don't want to turn into my parents. I tell myself every day that I am content with loneliness for my whole life, because love isn't worth the risk of the pain." She sighed. "That's why I have no one in my life who cares about me, really. No friends, no boyfriend, not even my parents."

Stan fiddled with his fingers. This girl, who everyone thought was a stuck-up bitch, was scared to love anyone, because she didn't want to be hurt. "Well, that's not exactly true," he spoke, with a small smile.

"What do you mean?" [Y/N] asked.

He finally tried what all the other boys had, but in a smaller, less getting-with-her sort of way. "I'll listen to you whenever you need to talk, and I'll be your friend," he pulled his knees to his chest, waiting for the inevitable refusal.

A small laugh came from her lips. "Really?" she asked in disbelief. "Even though I'm a jerk to everyone?" Stan chuckled and nodded as she smiled. "Thanks. You know what, Stan?"

His eyes went wide that she actually knew his name. "What?"

"I think you're the only exception to my rule," she responded, with a grin on her lips. "I think I'm on my way to believing in all the things I never wanted." Stan didn't know it yet, but, when she said that, [Y/N] meant those things about him.