Chapter 14: Alone

The hours passed by quickly that night. Patrick and [Name] had spent them laughing and swimming around. At this point it was very dark out. Patrick lifted his arm out of the water and squinted to read the numbers on his watch. "It's 1 am, we should get you home", he said. "Are you kidding me? No way! My parents won't even notice I'm gone", she exclaimed, she still had that smile on her face. "I never thought I'd hear that from you, now you break the rules?", he mocked. She rolled her eyes, "I'm not breaking any rules, my parents never told me I wasn't allowed to go out tonight", she said. "So you looked for a loophole", he said back. "Not really", she answered, letting herself float on her back. Patrick let himself float too. [Name] looked up at the starts. She never understood the obsession with them, yeah they were pretty, but that was all. Her eyes began to drift, and she began to fall asleep.

Patrick splashed water on her, freaking her out and causing her to wake up. "Holy shit Patrick can't you let me sleep!", he yelled. She was quite startled. "You're in water, letting you fall asleep here isn't such a good idea", he said, raising an eyebrow at her. She sighed and swam over to a rock on the side. "Then I'll stay here", she said. "You're seriously going to sleep in the woods? I offered to walk you home, keep that in mind", Patrick said. "No I'm fine I can say here", she answered, lifting herself onto the rock. The rock was the perfect temperature, slightly warm from the humidness of the night. She pulled her sweatshirt from off her waist and wrung it out, draping it over herself as some sort of make shift blanket. He pulled himself onto another rock near hers. Once again, she drifted quickly to sleep.
________________

She sat up tiredly. It was light out now, she guessed it was about 7 o'clock. She looked to the rock next to her, expecting Patrick, but no one was there. She looked around her, he was nowhere to be seen. She hadn't memorized the trail yesterday, and she had made that clear. Patrick just left her there in the woods alone, he probably went home to sleep in his own bed rather than on a rock. She sighed an angry breath. There she was, on a rock in soggy clothes at 7am. She was a mess. She groaned out loud, letting her voice echo. [Name] picked herself up and trudged over to her flashlight from yesterday. Although she didn't need it, she stuffed in in her sweatshirt pocket anyway. She wasn't surprised that Patrick had pulled a stunt like this. One minute he was the perfect guy, and the next minute he was a total asshole.

She kept walking around aimlessly in the woods. She had yet to find her way out, and she was more mad than scared. She didn't even want to know what her hair looked like. She leaned against a tree to take a break. She had been walking for about an hour now, trudging around in what she believed to be circles. She flicked her flashlight on and off out of boredom. Once she had flicked it off for the fourth time, she heard leaves crunching. She remembered the sound from her own feet from last night, and these crunches sounded identical. She listened closer, and there were multiple crunches. There was more than one person, and they were headed right towards her.

I can't believe I'm up to 10k reads! This is so insane thank you all so much! I'm so honored that you guys keep coming back to read my chapters. I can't thank you all enough!

-638 words