Chapter 3: Kal-Gulla bound

‘The King and his highness… King Oren Cisneros of the Braessi Pirates have partaken in talks this eve and the King of Tunstan has come to the conclusion that you are to be wed to His Grace Lord Oren in a week’s time, tonight the King holds a great banquet in celebration and you are commanded to attend in your finest attire.’ With his message proclaimed the young man swiftly removed himself from my quarters, bowed and slammed the door closed, leaving me standing immobile in shock at the news.

I collapsed to the floor in despair, my shoulders racked as I sobbed with tears. Bells across the city had begun to sing, mocking my horror with their cheerful tidings. Bethal, hearing the commotion entered from the bathing chamber and upon seeing me; hurried to descend to my level.

‘Adia what is wrong?’ She questioned worriedly as she took me in her arms and hugged me fiercely; ‘Tell me it isn’t true my lady.’

I cried out as I nodded, tears smearing my kohl makeup; ‘Aye! It is true. I am to marry a Braessi pirate King.’

Kwali emerged from the bathroom, running a towel against her long brown hair to dry it, just as Bethel had; Kwali too immediately joined us upon the floor, embracing me in my despair and pain.

‘Shh my lady’ Murmured Bethel as she held me tight; ‘we will stand by your side through this ordeal. You do not stand alone.’

It was silent for what felt like eternity before I summoned the strength to stand again and compose myself; to cry before my subjects even in moments of deep pain was to show weakness. Bethel ran a comforting hand down the side of my arm as she watched with worry. I managed a weak smile as I breathed deeply;

‘Perhaps this is my fate. Perhaps I was born to die at the hands of a pirate.’

Bethel shook her head vigorously as she used the pads of her thumbs to wipe away the tear trails that had run down my face.

‘Nay Adia. You were born to rule. And by the grace of the gods you shall. Remember who you are; you are the daughter of Eom the Northern bear and Jalya the Southern Princess, you are the princess before the eyes of our people.’

I straightened my head and held it high, it was true; I was the Southern daughter of the North, however the thought did little to ease my pain of heart, never would I have freedom to love. I moved slowly toward my oak wardrobe and ruffled through the dresses, most were revealing in nature as the King had forbidden me to wear any clothing of my own choosing. I pulled forward a long purple chain skirt and a short bodice with long hanging chains that would obscure my stomach only slightly, the ensemble left little to the imagination.

I took no liberty to hide myself as I changed, in this room we were all women and I had no reason to doubt my body. It was not as though my body was hideous, I was not small in size but neither was I large, the small amounts of food I had been nourished with had served to create a body that was toned yet muscled. I took care to keep myself healthy, it was imperative I allowed no sickness or disease to claim me or my uncle could use it as a chance to find another heir. Something he could not legitimately do with my status as living.

With a final tug of the chain bodice to my chest I turned and revealed myself to my maidens. Bethel allowed a small smile as she looked me over appraisingly;

‘For one who detests such attire it certainly does become you. If only in warmer weather.’

‘Well, it is wear this or face the cold in nothing and in embarrassment at the hand of the King.’ I returned with as much mirth as I could attempt to muster, my body was tired; drained of all resources be it emotional or physical.

I turned to my vanity and grasped the hand brush that lay abandoned, I begun to work away at the tangles and knots that I often acquired in my day-to-day activities. As I tended and looked into the dust veiled mirror as a guide, a kind of calm and tranquillity briefly encompassed me, I let the long, soft waves of hair fall uninterrupted down the expanse of my back before I positioned my headdress.