Chapter 10 - The Most I've Ever Slept

A sharp pain is imminent in my hand, and I seem to be attached to an IV that looks more like a little water gun. Then I turn my attention to the searing ache in my side. My vision is extremely blurred and I can feel my heart in my ears, to my head, my toes and back again. My eyes clear up a bit but it hurts to blink. I absolutely can't stand the smell in here, and only now I know exactly where I am. 

I reach for the service button and I press it, waiting for a nurse to come by and tell me what's going on. Pretty soon I hear distorted yelling and screaming, causing me to pay more attention but my head to ache a bit more. 

This being a hospital, there must be fights all the time. People sometimes get very irritable and frustrated when their loved ones are hurt, it makes sense I get it. However, these voices sound familiar. Maybe it's the headache but I can't distinguish voices at the moment. 

A young female voice, "How could you?! This is all your fault you were the one who was too damn ignorant to watch where the fuck you were going and now she might even be dead all because you couldn't keep your eyes on the fucking road!" 

Familiar, I know. I know her I just-- Ahhh shit this headache. 

A hard smack echoes throughout the unit and I hear another five voices trying to calm the girl down. Now I think I'm starting to get it. Five familiar voices, the other one seems to be a stranger. Almost a stranger.

The nurse walks in with an apologizing smile, "I'm sorry, sweetie I don't mean for you to hear all of that racket."

I croak out "Don't worry it must be a usual thing, I get it." 

She gives me a warm smile as he straightens my bed so I'm half-lying down and adjusts my medication hanging from a little clear plastic bag to my little wrist water gun. 

"Thanks. Can you tell them to come in? I'm alright now I promise." 

Another smile, this time a bit more condescending, "Let's wait until the pain dies down alright, love?" 

I nod and try to listen closely to what was going on just around the corner in what I guess is the waiting room.

Frustration can lead a man to do things he wouldn't think of. An accented voice starts retorting with a scratchy edge to it as he yells back, "I didn't mean to! I'M TELLING YOU ASPEN I DIDN'T FUCKING MEAN TO! You're right it's all my fault and I should have been more careful and now she MIGHT BE DEAD." As these words set in the air I hear a loud crash,  but it was objects. Maybe he had kicked a chair or three. Then sobs erupt from the same voice, not hard not wailing, just whimpers and coughs that are hardly audible. 

The medication set in and my headache only comes from everything outside. I desperately press the service button so many times I couldn't count until the nurse came in with an exasperated look. 

"Let them in, now." I demanded. 

Seeming to be tired of my protests she walks towards the waiting room. She stands at the doorway and I hear her faint words. "She's awake now, you may come in to see her. You were very fortunate, we'd almost lost her." 

Just then she was just about pushed down as 7 guys and 3 girls ran towards my room. Aspen got here first and enveloped me in a huge hug. She was crying. 

"Hey, hey I'm alright. You don't need to worry about me." 

She pulls away with tears in her eyes "You were in a coma for 3 days, Shannon... We'd thought you'd never come back."

I was in shock. Three days? I have to say, that's the most I've ever slept. Angel also walks in and we all have a sisterly group hug. 

Harry was next to rush in and squeeze me half to death. His arms wrapped all around me, his face was nestled in my neck and one of his big hands was entangled in my hair. He was almost uncontrollably sniffling and I registered the wet feeling on my shoulder. 

"Shh... Haz it's alright. It's alright I'm okay see? I'm flesh and broken bone I'm right here. I won't leave." 

He half sob-laughed when I said "flesh and broken bone." I took his face in my hands and planted a kiss on his cheek. A flush creeped up his neck and I avoided staring as I wiped away one of his tears from his red cheek. 

Red cheek... hold on. 

"What happened to your cheek, Harry?" His eyes seemed to snap out of a trance and he backed away, reaching a wall and sliding down to bring his knees to his chest. 

"Shannon... I- I'm so sorry..." His hands meet his face and his shoulders shake slightly. 

Aspen starts, but I stop her and grab her wrist so she comes closer. 

"I know, Aspen. I woke up as soon as you started fighting." 

Her hazel eyes grow wide and her mouth hangs slightly open. I hug her again, "It's alright. I understand you were frustrated. It all happens. The flight here from California must have been tiring and I know you got here immediately. Go home, and get some rest." 

Her face turns stern and I know she's about to protest. "Get some sleep." I repeat gently. 

She eventually nods and leaves with all the boys, including Mitch who she had brought along with her. Not that I'm complaining. Harry stays though, and I'm thankful for it. 

"Harry aren't you tired?" 

He sniffles, wiping his nose with a tissue. "Yeah but I'd rather stay here, look after you." He doesn't want to meet my eyes, so his reddened jade eyes stay focused on the floor. 

"Where are you going to sleep, hon?" That last one came out inadvertently, medication does things to ya. 

"Chair's fine." He says, getting off the floor and sitting in one of the plastic chairs off to the side of the room. 

I make an effort to scoot over on the small hospital bed and pat the empty space next to me. 

"There's room for two." I say with a meek smile. 

He microscopically smiles and sits down on the side of the bed, hesitant to lie down. 

"It's alright, Hazza you can lie down." I eventually coax him to lie down and he gets comfortable while trying not to hurt me. 

Soon his head finds the crook of my neck and his arms entangle around me. This is surprisingly comfortable. 

"I really am sorry... I probably won't ever drive aga-"

I couldn't take it anymore I guess. I put my hands on the back of his neck and his lips automatically met mine. The world just seemed to melt away and the pain in my side had disappeared.

We both pulled away and his eyes were big, milky, almost innocent and his lips played out a small awe-filled smile. I smiled back and nestled myself back in his arms. 

I guess we both just fell asleep like that, because I really don't remember anything else. 

Or maybe that's just the medication. 

I'll figure it out in the morning.