The Effects Were Only Temporary

The lights above him blended together, tangling brilliant blues and burning reds. The ceiling was breathing slowly moving in and out as the spots of color chased one another with purple and pink joining the mix. Stiles had no sense of time and had no idea how long he had been lying there on the floor. The carpet was warm as it hugged his body comforting him, he ran his arms slowly up and down reminding himself of a bird in flight. He had no idea what he had ate but it set him free. He knew he wouldn't feel like this forever; that the effects were only temporary, it was always temporary. He longed to stay that way, to be free of the world that kept trying to consume him. He imagined flying away into the colors and if he stared long enough he could see the image on his mother's smile burning into the rough stained ceiling above him.

"Time to go home kid." Stiles grumbled at the voice that pulled him down from his high. He rolled over seeing Aiden standing in the door frame, his large arms folded across his chest. "you've been laying there for hours, it's late, your dads going to kill you."

"Let him." Stiles rolled over pushing himself up off the floor, he stumbled a little but Aiden was quick to catch him. "my hero" he laughed at his own joke and the older boy grinned shaking his head.

"let's go. I'll take you home." Stiles steadied himself, the high was wearing off but he was sure it would last about another hour, would it be enough? He pushed the sobering thought out of his mind and led the way to the car.

The music was almost at a deafening volume as he rode in the passenger seat of Aiden’s car. The bass vibrated the seats, rocking Stiles, keeping him calm. In the back seat Danny and Aiden's twin brother Ethan sat with their arms wrapped around one another. That was love, the way they looked at one another said it all. Stiles didn't believe in love for himself, it wasn't an option, not for someone like him. The car jerked to a stop pulling Stiles from his thoughts. Aiden twisted the knob to the volume bringing the music to a whisper. Stiles reached for the door handle "It's been fun. Thanks for the ride and the drugs." Stiles grinned and stepped out into the cool night air taking in a deep breath.

"Hey!" Stiles turned back and leaned into the car window. "A little something for the road." Aiden smiled tossing a baggy at Stiles who was quick to catch it and shove it in his shoe.

"You know how to make a guy feel special."

"Just a gift for my favorite customer."

"Should we give you two a minute or?" Ethan chimed in from the back seat with Danny laughing beside him.

Aiden turned glaring at his brother "shut up!” He turned back around grabbing the steering wheel “See you later Stilinski." Aiden cranked up the music and peeled off leaving Stiles alone. Stiles looked up at his house, he never thought he would one day hate that place, but he did. Stiles looked at his phone seeing it was just after 10:00 and lights were still burning sending slivers of light into the yard.

Stiles waited on the porch dreading walking in because he knew as soon as he did there would be another fight between him and his father. He loved his dad and hated disappointing him but there was no way his dad would ever understand. Stiles couldn’t tell anyone because they wouldn’t believe him or they would just blame him. Stiles began thinking about it all too much killing his high and decided to face the fight that waited on the other side of the door. The sooner the fight was over the sooner he could escape to his room and treat himself to the things he had stashed in his shoes.

“Dad, I know I’m late but let me explain. I was at A-” Stiles was stopped in his tracks as he looked into the living room seeing his dad and girlfriend Wendy sitting on the couch in silence. Then he noticed a duffle bag packed by the door and a man he had never seen before step out of what seemed like the shadows. He took no time to think and bolted for the stairs only making it halfway up before he was tackled. “Get off! Dad! Please, I’m sorry!” Sheriff Stilinski walked into the room but could barely look as his sons hands were zip tied and he was lifted to his feet. Stiles could see Matt, Wendy’s son, standing at the top of the steps, a pained look on his face. “Dad! You can’t do this.”

“I don’t know what to do son. I- I don’t even know who you are any more. Skipping and failing your classes, the drugs, the lieing. Coach called and said he had to remove you from the team. I’m at a loss kid.”

“I promise, I can change! Please dad.” Stiles could feel the knot in his throat and the tears stinging his eyes.

“I’m doing this to help you. Please don’t make this any harder. You’re going because I love you.” Stiles could feel all the hate and rage that had been swimming deep within him and it exploded.

“I hate you! Mom is gone and now you’re getting rid of me because you have a new family now. I guess you needed to upgrade, so have fun with your skank, I guess you finally get your wish.” The pain he saw in his fathers eyes killed him but it was too late, it had already been said.

“Don’t talk about my mom that way, she loves you. We aren’t trying to replace anyone.” Matt chimed in making his way down the stairs.

“Fuck you!” Stiles spat out stopping Matt in his tracks.

“Hey! That’s enough.” Mr. Stilinski grabbed Stiles face in his hands trying to force his son to look at him “I’m doing this to keep you safe because I love you- look at me! I love you but this isn’t you, I want my son back.”

“Goodbye dad.” With those words the man grabbed the bag and walked Stiles out of the house taking him to a van that was parked on the street.

The ride was long and boring. Stiles would rather rip out his fingernails then be on this car ride and he would kill to get the drugs that were just out of his reach. Stiles took his time to study the big brooding man that sat in the drivers seat. His steely gaze never left the road as he gripped the wheel, his jaw clenched. Stiles couldn’t stand the silence and his leg continued to bounce up and down. “So, tall, dark, and brooding, you get paid for kidnapping kids? Must be a pretty fulfilling life you lead.” He waited for a response but got nothing in return. “Well, what fantastic vacation spot is papa Stilinski sending me too? The bahamas? Florida; the retirement capital of the world?” Nothing. “You don’t talk much do you?”

“The place is called Point Break. It’s one of the top leading private schools for troubled youth offering a safe environment for at risk teens.” Stiles leaned back grinning satisfied with the results but still infuriated that he was even here.

“Sounds great, did you get that from the brochure?” The man kept driving. “Want to drop me off here? I’ll walk.”

“Where will you go?”

“I don’t care. Away I guess.”

The man grunted and kept driving. Stiles kicked the back of the passenger seat and leaned back closing his eyes. The shaking van was enough to rock him into a light sleep.

The rain pounded hard against the window as the storm grew closer. The flashes of lightning bringing twisted shadows into Stiles room. He laid in bed covering himself with his blanket tucked tightly around him. He was afraid, but not of the storm, he was afraid of what could happen during the storm. Maybe the promise would be kept but it usually never was. Then he heard it just below the rumble of thunder, his bedroom door slowly opened.

“You asleep?”

Stiles was jarred awake by the van hitting a pothole. The sweat was thin across his face and he had no way of wiping it off. His high was long gone and he ached wanting more to fight off the sickening feeling eating at his stomach. He pressed his face against the window and watched as they passed tree after tree.

“The school is just past this hill. It’s surrounded by wilderness and the nearest town is about 10 miles away, just in case you were thinking of running.” Now it was Stiles turn to stay quiet, not because he wanted to, but because he was too tired to think of a witty comeback. He hadn’t had a decent night sleep in months and it was taking a toll on his physical and mental state.

Just as promised they approached what looked to be a campground filled with at least five cabins, picnic tables, a volleyball court and a large house in the center of it all. After they parked Stiles was removed from the van and his hands were finally unbound. He instantly grabbed his wrists rubbing them as he looked around his new home.