Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

They were awoken early the next morning by a pounding on the door and Rogue slipped on a robe, then went to answer it. She was faced with a woman who reminded Rogue of an Amazon; blond, tall and very beautiful, but with a hard look to her.

The other woman looked her up and down. "You must be the kid," she stated.

"Only one person gets to call me that, and he's got a good hundred pounds on you."

Bella Donna smiled and pushed passed Rogue, into the apartment. "Is he here?"

"He's getting dressed."

"Sure he is," Bella flashed a knowing smile but there was nothing friendly in it. "Are you even legal?"

"Are you claiming your pension yet?"

"He always did like 'em young."

"Then how'd he end up with you?"

Bella chuckled as Remy came into the room. "Hey, baby. Your kitten's got claws."

Rogue shook her head and headed towards the bedroom. As she passed Remy she paused and gave him a long kiss.

"Be right back," she whispered.

When she'd gone, Remy glared at Bella. "If you've just come to cause trouble, you can leave now."

"I haven't. I heard something." She stepped closer to him.

"What kind of something?"

"Just rumours." She stopped right in front of him.

Remy wanted to back away but felt that would be seen as weak. "Don't make me hurt you, Bella. What rumours?" She leaned in closer until he could feel her breath tickling his cheek and Remy gripped her shoulders to stop her advancing any further. "What rumours?" he asked again.

Bella sighed and backed off. "You're no fun anymore."

"Bella! What rumours?"

"Fine. Jake told Henry that Billy overheard Jeff say, there was someone being held hostage in the old breaker yard."

"That's a lot of hearsay," Rogue commented as she came back, dressed.

"Who asked you?"

Rogue ignored her and faced Remy. "We should check it out."

Remy shook his head. "Sounds like it could be a trap."

"I know. That's why we should both go."

"You should both go," Bella chimed in. "It'll be a bonding experience. I hear they're good for problematic relationships."

They both ignored her.

"It's too dangerous," Remy told Rogue.

"I'm not a child."

"I never said that."

"Remy, I've been in much worse situations. You do remember who we-" she cast a wary glance at Bella Donna. "Who we both work for, right?"

Rogue could almost feel Bella sitting up straighter, her interest piqued.

Remy sighed. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Oh, come on Remy," Bella exclaimed. "Let the kid go with you. Might teach her a lesson."

Rogue turned to her. "I'm gonna teach you a lesson if you don't shut up."

Bella held her hands up. "Hey, I'm on your side."

"I highly doubt that." Rogue turned back to Remy. "You know I'll just follow you, so you might as well agree."