Shadows

The front door opens and Rudra enter  Saumya's flat.

Saumya's now showing, Rudra pulls her in for a hug, "thanks" she replied.

"What are you thanking me for?" Rudra asked his face wet with faint droplets of sweat.

"For meeting up with Bhavya yesterday" Rudra said as he put his bag on the floor and flopped on the couch, "Just for coffee."

"Yes,Bhavya from college?" Saumya said wearily from her seat at the table,taking out their  toasted sandwiches.

"How many Bhavya's do you know?" Rudra scoffed,water-bottle in her hand.

"Why did you meet up?" Saumya asked,she kind of knew the answer but wanted to hear it from him.

"I needed to talk to her," Rudra said. "To tell her about us."

Saumya's face softened and she stood up, walking over to him.

"That wasn't necessary" She took his hand, linking their fingers together.

Suddenly she scrunched her face, in pain and Rudra rushed forward, enveloping his arms around her.

"Saumo, what's wrong" She held him tight and then went limp as her head fell against his shoulder.

"Saumya.....Saumya....." Rudra shouted as he quickly put her on the couch and rushed to get his phone that was charging on the kitchen counter.

"A mistake" Bhavya said her eyes red and make-up visibly stained by tears as she looked at the screen of the tablet monitoring the inside of Saumya's flat.

3 hours earlier
Bhavya pushed her coffee cup away and sighed. "It's not always bad. People fight. We can try again".

"We can't be over, Rudra
" she whispered, her eyes burning unexpectedly as her shoulders slumped.

Bhavya reached over and tried to hold his hand but Rudra pulled his hand back and hung her head.

"It was a mistake" he whispered.

Bhavya's eyes began to grow watery as he looked away, staring at the rim of his cup.

"Mistake" She repeated.

"I am getting married" he said roughly.

"Married?" Bhayvya echoed.

"To Saumya," Bhavya asked questioningly.

"Yes" Rudra nodded and cleared her throat. "Never thought you'd be the married type."

"Neither did I." Rudra said.

Bhavya went cold all over "Because she's pregnant" she added in her mind as she faked a polite smile back at him.

She took a sip of her coffee and the air between them went tense.

"A family man, huh?" Bhavya choked out as she glanced down at her cup.

"Yes," he said quietly pushing his coffee cup away.

"What happened to your police career?" Rudra asked.

"There's no police career" Bhavya finally said.

"Just didn't work out." She lied.

Art studio

"Is this the color right?" Omkara asked a group of young aspiring artists who he was giving a talk to.

Gauri flashed a look at her husband, "That good Omkara ji, play this game." She thought as she motions some of the people to move out of her way.

"I can't wait to see what he does next" a girl said.

"Why on earth did he want me here at this studio with him" Gauri thought to herself as she wandered off to look at the other exhibitions.

She glanced back at Om who looked all authoritative, proprietorial as he was standing in front of the painting.

"I like it better when the person I am painting's eye speak from a painting" Om said as his eyes followed Gauri as she aimlessly looking at some abstract art sculptures.