Chapter 3: Miss Catherine

Maybe last week of my school life had confirmed a sad fact about me. I’m not studying as I’m supposed to. I know because my inner voice told me so. Yeah I know talking to your inner voice is so scary because it voices out loud the obvious even if you don’t want to believe it.

I hadn’t tell my momma because I know she’d be so disappointed in me but I also know no matter how I hide the truth, she’ll know about it. Hahaha I just know everything!

So this week I manage to get my hair into this pig whatever. I don’t want to say the name. It makes my mouth go bile. But apart from my hair, I looked very pristine in my kilt and shirt plus my vest and tie compared to the re-opening day.

“Here missy” I stretched out my little sis’ lunch box to her.

“Will momma come for us today?” she asked.

“No, we may join the bus but maybe another time she’ll come for us” I knew Ewura was disappointed as I was with that decision of momma. Nobody likes to join the school bus but I had to comply. “Now go before you get late” I pushed her gently toward the alley that leads to the kindergarten.

“Would you spare me an extra cedi note?” Kobby begged. The boy was becoming a nuisance ever since he joined me in Junior high.

“No” I said.

“Please”

“Momma will so hear about how you’re sucking me out buddy”

“Momma’s now too busy to hear about your whining and your tell tale stories. Just a cedi note and I swear I won’t bother you again”

“It’s a big no Kobby. No no and for the umpteen time no!” I saw my friends coming.

“Why are you so stingy?”

“And which part of no don’t you understand?”

“Piggy-head!” he threw an insult to my face.

“Loser!” I hurled after him.

A day is incomplete without you and Kobby quarreling” Sue laughed.

“He’s such a pest”

“Are you telling me? I’ve got not one but two pests myself” Sue said referring to her little twin brothers.

“Guess all boys are” Nazira said.

“Not the cute ones” Olivia added and we all groaned. She laughed. “Ok guys, just chill”

Together we all huddled and made our way to our class. We got seated and waited for the other students to settle.

 A female teacher strolled inside with a bright sweet face.”Good morning class” oh and she’s got a voice as though she’s singing. The class stands in unison to greet her. “Sit sit” smiling, she beckons and turns to write on the board.

 I stole the chance to check her out. Her hair was in a perfect ponytail and she was in a knee-cut fitting dress revealing her curves. A roll of pearl buttons running up the back of the coffee-brown dress and on her feet, a two inch wedge to support her height.

 I glanced at my friends, they had this ‘no kidding’ facial expression as they also stared at the teacher. Nazira glanced my way and gave me a double thumbs-up and I giggled.

Ben the guy beside me tapped me.

“Yes”

“Such curvaceous lady huh!” he winked.

“Such a bad boy you’re” I smirked.

“Any problem at the back there?” the teacher looked at me and I hastily replied no. “Ok then, I’m Catherine Abena Pokuaah and as clearly seen on the board, I’m your new music and dance teacher” she paused and started with some hot dance moves.