capitolo 22 :: acqua salata

(idea: @cam140 . Thank you!)
:
About an hour was left until your shift ended when a sudden call came through your radio.

You were in your assigned car, writing something down in between assignments - maybe it was tonight's groceries, who knew - when the little ding sounded and there was static.

Your eyebrows drew close together as you picked it up off your shoulder and pressed the button on the receiver, muttering your ID number and the word "responding".

More static. You re-clicked the button. "Um...hello? Is anyone there-"

"North of 81st street by the harbor. Red shipping container. Hurry, please?"

That...did not sound like anyone you worked with. "Wait, who is this?" You asked, but static once again. "Well shit," you sigh, putting the car into reverse, "I'm armed. Vamonos."
---
The smell of salt made your nose scrunch up.

The harbor was mostly empty apart from the seagulls flying overhead, the containers and the huge ships in the distance, and you were almost confident this was a set-up.

From where you were standing there was only one red container in sight, so you made your way over, the asphalt crunching under your boots and a hand on your gun.

You stopped near the crate, changing your pacing from quick footsteps to a slower crawl. Unholstering your gun, you held it downwards as you slowly, slowly rounded the edge of the shipping container-

Joseph, Mary and Jesus, for the billionth time it's Giorno. He was leaning against the crate looking as if he had just came out of a fight - bloody, bruised in a couple of places. Once his eyes trace over you he sighs, relieved.

You exhaled. "What are you doing here?!" All he does is tell you to be quiet. You join him in leaning against the crate, throwing him a skeptical look. "Who are we even hiding from...?"

Giorno nods behind him. Under his breath, he nods to the side and mutters "black jacket."

"I-Is that his name or-"

"Him!"

Black jacket man coming straight at the both of you, and before you know it you've fired a shot and he's on the ground. "Are there more?" You whisper, and Giorno shakes his head, surprised. "That's it."

Quickly making your way over to him, you see you've hit him in the throat. Kneeling down, You rummage through his pockets to get any identification.

Giorno is standing above you. "That's strange...his stand would have stopped that bullet," he murmurs.

You turn around. "His What?"

"Nothing, Nothing." Giorno smiles. "You're pretty handy with a gun."

You focus back on trying to figure out who this dude is. "Thanks. We have to train pretty often."

You brush off your black pants, now stained white with asphalt, and give him a concerned look. "Doing alright? Shouldn't you have some officers with you?"

He gestures towards an abandoned car and four officers on the ground. You sigh. "Are they...?"

"All four. Unfortunately."

A nice little pinch to the bridge of your nose clears up your head and you sigh, making a gesture for Giorno to follow you. "Let me call this in and clock out, and I'll get you somewhere they can help you. I'll be...quick."
---
"So- let me get this straight. You were coming back from someplace and this man just ambushed you, killed all four of your officers, and you used one of their radios to call me in and get you?"

"About right."

You scoff and then continue to stare straight ahead at the road before you. Quickly diverting your attention from the road to look into the backseat, you smile. "At least you're safe. Anywhere you want to go now?"

You can practically hear him think. "I don't know. If I get back to headquarters like this they'll probably fire you."

That's true. Your hands grip around the steering wheel tighter.

"...We can patch you up at my house, if you'd like."

"That sounds good."
---
The moment the lights flick on, Sveta practically runs into your arms and stars meowing. "Hush," you tell her, before leading Giorno to the bathroom. "Is there anything I can help with?" You ask, and he shakes his head no.

Just before you leave, you pull out a box of regular bandages and caterpillar bandages and set them next to each each other. "Take your pick."

He grabs the caterpillar ones. "Thanks."

He comes out 20 minutes later, his hair all neat again, the little cuts and bruises on his hands and by his cheeks all cleaned up, and a caterpillar bandage on the top of his hand.

The only thing that's kind of strange is that there were no trace of any cuts or bruises on his face anymore, at all. It's almost like he healed himself or something.

"Feeling better?" You ask, leaning against your sofa, and he smiles, bringing his braid over his shoulder (which doesn't really matter that he did, it returns to his place behind his back immediately afterwards).

He walks over to you, encircling his arm around your waist, pulling you into him and kissing your forehead. "I am, thanks for asking."

A sigh passes past your lips, a little bit of regret sprinkled in for extra flavor. "Sometimes, I worry about you too, you know." You rub your eyes. "I know I go places you don't want me going sometimes, but sometimes I wonder what you do while I'm not around."

"I'll be honest with you," he says, sitting down on the couch. "Not much."

"Like what?" You sit down next to Giorno.

"Drive around, look important. I still talk to a couple of people I met in the past, so we go out and do things." Giorno brushes a piece of hair behind his ear and you laugh at his comment.

"Must be nice." Your eyes trail to the clock hanging in your kitchen and you nearly have a heart attack. "It's almost nine o'clock," you mention, pushing yourself off the counter, "are you gonna get in trouble for being late to anywhere?"

"I'll stay for a little bit longer."

"That's perfect."

Four mugs of hot chocolate later, they had fallen asleep on top of each other on the couch.
---
A/N
Man now that I think of it my Giorno fics are way different than other ones I read, aren't they 🤔

Also the title looks like "water salad" lmfao
-Mom