capitolo 9 :: passeggiate notturne

"Please, stay with me just a little bit longer," you whisper to your car, as it slowly rolls into the parking lot of headquarters. The gas is just fine, it's just the motor, so it seemed.

Slamming the car door shut with much disappointment, you storm into the building mumbling about how in the world you'd commute back to work.

After sliding your ID into one of the turnstiles, you walk over to reception and sigh. "Are any of the interns here today?" The receptionist nods. "Alright, well send one down to my desk, please. Thanks."
---
Minutes later (after you finished grumbling to yourself and changing into work clothes) you sit down at your desk. That's when a woman in her early twenties runs up, clutching a clipboard to her chest. "M-M-Ms. L/n? I'm t-the intern y-you asked--"

"What are you stuttering for? I don't bite," you add, smiling innocently at her. That only seems to make her a little less scared. "Well, do me a favor-- what's your name?"

"Marzia."

"Well, Marzia, tow the car with this license plate." You hand her a post it Note with some numbers and letters, and your phone number. "I need it taken into a garage or something. Have them call me once it's there, alright?"

She nods and then quickly scurries away. "THANK YOU!" You call after her. "Geez, the interns here don't get enough recognition."

After completing some paperwork to kill time until the next mission, You lean back into your chair, the front two legs coming up off the ground. That's when an officer walks over to your desk, cup of coffee in hand. For a minute, you thought he was bringing you coffee, but then he looked out the window. "That's your car getting towed back there."

"I know, I know. I'm getting it taken in."

"To a garage?"

"No, to a junkyard. Yes, to a garage."

He laughs a little. "I wonder who's gonna fix your car."

You shrug. "I have no idea! Some old dude, a college kid, an American girl with a Japanese boyfriend-- god knows."

"Why the last one?"

"I don't know. Popped into my head. You obviously want something based off the sudden conversation. What?"

"Can I lead the next mission, please?"

"Is the queen of England male?"

"No."

"Then, No."
---
"Yeah. Well, see you later!" You call to the receptionist as you exit the building. Looks like you'd just have to walk home. That was alright, I mean, the city lights were nice to look at and it was more exercise, right?

The dumb "businesswoman" getup you had to wear as before-work clothes were killing you. But nonetheless, you continued to make your way downtown. (Walking fast, faces past, and I'm home bound.)

You're walking past an alley when you hear some people arguing over something. It's not very discernible as to what they're talking about, but you decide not to stick around to find out. Someone says something along the lines of "there she is!"

...and someone falls out of the alley.

You quickly outstretch your arm and catch the person, their weight pulling you both backwards a little. "Are you alright?" You ask. Wait a minute...