Chapter Five

I wish I had a hangover. I wish I’d drunk more of those cocktails yesterday and woke up with a raging headache and alcohol-related amnesia to worry about.

Instead, I open my eyes and instantly remember how much of a disaster yesterday’s plan was and how much further away I am from finding Drew.

We’re supposed to be getting married in four days. And I’ve waited seven years for this. Why should I just give up? Why should I accept that Drew’s run off with somebody else?

After all, there could still be a reasonable excuse for all this.

Maybe I should call Felicity again and see if she’s heard anything. I grope the bedside table for my phone, coming up with nothing except a dirty tissue and the case for my contact lenses.

Okay. Obviously I put it somewhere else. Probably somewhere hidden from Amy so she can’t stop me from checking my emails using the Wi-Fi coverage in the bathroom.

Oh! The bathroom. Maybe I left it there.

Ensuring that my roommate is still asleep, I roll out of bed and slide across the tiled floor to the bathroom.

No phone in there. And I even check the bathtub.

Oh no, what if Drew’s trying to contact me right now and I can’t answer because I haven’t got a clue where my phone is?

I definitely had it when we went out to dinner last night. And then when we came back and hung out in Lou’s room for a bit. Actually, did I have it when we came back and went to bed? I was so tired by then I can’t even remember. Maybe Louise has got it!

Still in my pyjamas, I grab my key card and head along the corridor to my sister’s room. I pause outside, my hand about to knock on the door.

Inside, Lou’s voice comes low and muffled.

Who’s she talking to? Surely she hasn’t got someone in there. I know she wanted to view this trip as a holiday, but this is so out of character for her.

I press my ear to the door, trying to listen for the other voice. Thinking about it, I can only hear her.

“I know, James. I love you too.”

Well, there’s no way she’s snuck her husband into her hotel room. She’s probably on the phone to him, talking about how much they miss each other and how perfect their marriage is.

I should never have expected her to understand why I have to find Drew and get my own shot at happiness. She thinks I’m an idiot for chasing him after what he’s done, but this is my only chance of happily ever after. I’ve invested too much of my life to give up now.

Backing away from the door, I return to my own room. Calling Felicity will have to wait.

By the time Amy wakes up and we’re eating breakfast with Lou, I feel more deflated than ever.

I honestly thought that this would all be over by now. I thought I’d be back at home getting on with my wedding arrangements, not utilising the hotel’s breakfast service again.

It’s probably a good thing that I listened to Amy’s advice and booked the hotel for a week rather than the couple of nights I thought it would take.

Even being reunited with my phone doesn’t help once I see that there are still no replies to the countless messages I’ve left Drew, and neither his mother nor his secretary seem to have news for me.

“I’ve got to make some calls.” I push my barely-touched plate away.

“What calls?” Amy narrows her eyes.