Broken Phones and Braids

Put your hands up!

Up in the club

Just broke up

And doing my own lil' thing

Decided to dip

Now you wanna trip

Cause another brother noticed me—

Still drunk with sleep Phillip slapped his phone to the ground, possibly breaking it, but effectively turning off his morning alarm. Satisfied with this, he rolled to the other side of the bed and sighed, going back to sleep on an instant.

—~•~—

Put your hands up!

Up in the club

Just broke up—

"Son of a motherless goat" He grumbled, waking up for the second time in the morning. He stayed like time for a few more seconds, and then slapped himself. Repeatedly. And he kept doing it until he opened his eyes.

With eyes still tempted to close once again, he looked at the floor where his (now slightly cracked) phone laid. With some pity, he turned off Beyonce's beautiful voice and sat on his bed, forcing himself to start the day. He wanted to curse everything that was holy for the existence of school, but he didn't, knowing his mother would ground for like, a century if he did.

Tiredly he goes to the bathroom, does bathroom stuff, and comes back to his bedroom to get dressed. His clothes are nothing extravagant, just normal twelve year old clothing. He does, though, put some chapstick on his lips because damn his lips are cracked.

He walks out to the unfamiliar halls and there he sees Frances, coincidentally exiting her room at the same time he does.

Just great.

"Why are you dressed like that? You look like a boy" He says, looking at her clothing. She was wearing gray cargo pants with some pink converses that didn't match at all with anything else, a super big dark blue hoodie and a beanie hat that's also gray.

"Why are you dressed like that?" Frances responds. "You look like a boy" She said, and walked away.

What is that even in the world?

—~•~—

"You sure you want to start today?"

"Yes, dad"

"You can start any other day, next week if you want"

"It's okay, dad"

"I know the moving has been sudden and so has been the change of school. Are you feeling overwhelmed?"

"No, dad"

"Good. Okay– uh, if you want to leave at any time at school just call me, okay?"

"I know, dad" You already said that like a hundred times Phillip thought, but didn't say.

"You sure you wanna go–?"

"Dad, don't worry about me I'll be fine"

"Okay" Alexander sighed, still looking at his son skeptically. He just wanted him to feel comfortable with the sudden changes on his life, and couldn't help but worry. "Have a nice day at school, Pip"

"Thanks, dad"

—~•~—

Phillip's plan was to sit alone on the bus, but by the time they got there all but one sit was taken. Afraid of having to sit for like half an hour with a complete stranger, he resigned himself and sat next to Frances.

"So" He started a cringy attempt of conversation so they wouldn't spend the ride in an awkward silence. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No, I used to have one though. His name was Francis Henderson and like dad told me to not date dudes called 'Francis' but I disregarded him but then he turned out, Francis, to be a complete jerk so I broke up with and and now I'm single"

Phillip doesn't want to be rude but that's what he would call an over-sharer.

And who even uses the word "disregarded" on a casual conversation?

"Neat" He said, and they spent the next thirty minutes on an awkward silence.

When they arrived the new school, they both parted ways (which Phillip was very thankful for). He nervously looked around and saw a girl with some pretty nice converses, a bird pattern painted over them intricately. He didn't want to approach her, Phillip was a shy kid. But then he remembered his aunt Peggy telling him that if he didn't make friends he would be sad and alone and then Phillip pointed out that she didn't have friends to which Peggy responded "shut up".

So he decided to talk to the girl.

He walked towards her hesitantly and when he was near her he said "I like your shoes".

She looked at him and smiled, she was very pretty. Dark skin with black braided hair. Her body wasn't as thin as the rim of her glasses but that didn't make her any less pretty. Her smile was almost perfect except for a cute tooth-gap, but bright and beautiful nonetheless.

"Thanks" She chirped. "My parents and my dad's boyfriend actually painted them for me".

"That's cool. My parents too are divorced and my dad has a.. boyfriend" He said, trying to find something in common with the girl.

"Oh, my parents are not divorced"

"But you said your dad has a boyfriend" Phillip suddenly gasped. "Is he cheating on your mom!?"

"What? No. Ever heard of polyamory?"

Processing..

Processing..

Processing.

Nope, no results found.

"Poly– what?"

She rolled her eyes, but never stopped smiling. "You know, when someone dates more than one person at the same time and is totally consensual with all parts so is not cheating" The dark haired girl explained.

"That's a thing? As if Not-only-creepy-rich-dudes-who-buy-their-wives-at-the-other-side-of-the-world-do-it kinda thing?"

"Yeah" She scoffed, as if it were supposed to be super obvious. (Phillip didn't think it was). "So anyways they painted them for me for like my eleventh b-day and I love them"

Before Phillip could say anything else, the bell rang and both kids parted ways. After taking a few steps, Phillip stoped and looked at the girl once more.

"Hey, what's your name!?" He yelled at her.

"Theodosia!"