Chapter 19 - Joel

GABRIELLA

The taxi has barely stopped at the hospital entrance when I'm sprinting out of it after throwing more money than necessary on the front seat. The evening was going quite calm. Ozzie claimed he was tired, but I managed to make him confess that he was having a low key date. He kept the identity of the woman in question private, but reassured me that it was someone in his age range. He looked so happy that I didn't press him further for information. Only requested that he be careful.

I then went to check on Alec, who was in the best mood I've seen him in a while after hearing that a well-known music magazine was interested in an interview with him and his favorite bass equipment. I sat in his hotel room listening him recounting the call with the reporter about their request. I was in high spirits when I returned to my room, and after checking the departure time for tomorrow and messaging everyone about it, I climbed in bed and indulged in a pack of chocolate from the mini bar.

When I saw Daan's number on my phone I didn't think anything out of the ordinary was happening. He's called me before when he's out just to check on me and to ask if I need anything for him to bring back. His desperate voice made my heart sink.

"Gabriella, something happened to Joel! We are on our way to the hospital!"

"What happened?" I asked, my panic matching his.

"We don't know exactly what. He was fine one moment and got suddenly very ill. He passed out. We are in a taxi on our way to the hospital. Lex... Please calm down..."

I could hear Lexy crying and repeating over and over that he couldn't breathe and something about his heart. I requested Daan to let me know which hospital he was been brought to and left the hotel. On my way there, I called Steven and told him what I knew. I begged him to keep an eye on the other guys and that I would keep him posted. After repeating the same process with Erica, I heard someone in the background asking what was going on. I'm grateful for her professionalism, because she replied to whoever she was with that everything was okay in a very convincing voice.

I find Lexy and Daan sitting in the waiting area of the emergency room. She rocks in her chair while her head is in her hands. Daan rubs her back and doesn't look any better than her.

"Daan..." I whisper.

Lexy stops rocking and looks at me with swollen eyes, her makeup smeared. I sit next to her and hold her in my arms while she cries.

"Any news?" I ask Daan.

"Nothing yet. I've been twice to the reception there, but they didn't have an update. The taxi took a while to arrive after he was brought up by ambulance. So he was in there for a while before we arrived."

"He was fine when he left the venue," I say. "What could have happened?"

Lexy cries harder and I'm afraid I will have to ask for medical help if she continues.

"Lexy, I think it's better if we get you a taxi to the hotel," Daan says. "We don't know how long we'll be here."

"I'm not going anywhere," her voice comes out furious. "Don't you get it? I love Joel. I've always loved Joel. And now I might lose him. I won't leave this place until I've seen him."

The confession surprises me and so to see Daan as well. "Of course, Lexy," I try to calm her. "Daan wasn't trying to get rid of you."

"I need to see him... I need to know he's okay. He stopped breathing... A girl at the bar started reanimating him. She went with him in the ambulance," Lexy says in a rambling tone that makes me feel uncomfortable.

"One of those lucky moments among the circumstances," Daan says. "He had been talking with a young woman celebrating her bachelorette who happened to be a doctor."