Chapter 7 - Ozzie

OZZIE

Gabriella's fall of yesterday freaked me out. Seeing her in a good mood today makes me feel slightly better. You wouldn't even think something so serious happened from the way she conducts herself. I thought I would find her dead when we ran over to where she fell. My heart went to my throat and I could only breathe again when I saw her moving. 

Joel must have planned this. I don't know what's gotten into him and I'm truly worried that he might go back to his old habits. After Gabriella was taken to the hospital, we called it a day since no one could concentrate. Joel didn't even open his mouth to complain and I took that as the sign that what happened shocked him. He didn't come home until almost midnight and reeked of alcohol. This morning, he ate his breakfast in silence and only broke it to mumble thanks when I topped his coffee. I wanted to ask him what he has against Gabriella. She's been nothing but kind to everyone. 

Rehearsal is going well today and we haven't had any disagreements or arguments. It's curious that while we are practicing the new songs of our most recent album, my brain is already busy with the next ones. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can record while on the road, even if it means transforming a hotel room into a studio. Tomorrow, we'll get to see an almost final version of what the fans will see during the show and I can't wait. Daan promised me there won't be launchers this year. During the last tour, one of them malfunctioned and while everyone was already playing on stage, I was still waiting to come up. I didn't have any other option than to get out and walk up the stage through the side stairs. It was embarrassing for me even when the fans didn't seem to mind and reacted to my appearance with the usual enthusiasm.

Probably Gabriella knows what's been planned. I'm sure Daan or someone else must have shared the stage plans with her. She sits on the floor in front of the stage and types something on her phone.

"Hey, Gaby! Can I call you Gaby?" I try to turn the charm on. I'm still not over her rejection.

"Sure, you can call me Gaby. That's my nickname," she puts her phone away and gives me her full attention. "I didn't know you were still here. Most people left and will come back around five."

"I have nothing to do. Joel isn't much fun to be around lately. Alec went home to his kid and Lexy had an appointment at the hairdressers. I wanted to ask you if you have seen the new stage design. I'm sure this..." I motion with my hand to the frame in front of me. "Isn't everything."

"There are no launchers or lifts. For what I saw, you'll come out of that central space and a sort of garage door will roll up," she says with a knowing smile.

"How did you know I would ask that?" I can't help the surprise in my voice.

"Someone mentioned the malfunction of last year. It's my job to make sure you guys feel comfortable and confident, and that includes the stage workings."

"You are good! Have you thought about my offer?"

"What offer?" 

"To go out on a date with me."

"Ozzie... How can you mean something like that? It's not appropriate and as sweet and charming as you are, the answer is still no."

"Why no?" I ask in all seriousness. "Why don't you want to go out with me? I have dated women older than you," I hurt once more from her rejection.

Gabriella stares at me and her hazel eyes seem to reach deep into my soul.

"Come here," she pats the floor next to her. "Ozzie, you are a good guy, and definitely a very handsome one. You have thousands of girls interested in you. Why someone like me? Someone my age?"