Shamrock

DISCLAIMER: This fanfic is based on the book "Perdida", by the Brazilian author Carina Rissi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy; it is disposition alone."
- Jane Austen

Saoirse woke up with a startle. There was an arm around her. Around her naked body.

What the hell had happened?

Her head weighed at least two pounds and it sounded as if Uilleann pipes pounded inside it, loudly, cracking her skull.

There was some... guy she didn't remember lying still, breathing shallowly, beside her. He was brunette and wouldn't budge even when she pushed him away, cautiously.

She managed to get rid of him, grabbed her cocktail dress, her stilettos, her... her...

Where the fuck were her knickers?

Before having time to get desperate, the guy grunted. She dressed hurriedly and left, feeling like she would be sick any minute.

But anything was better than facing whoever she couldn't remember in the morning, wherever she had no idea she was.

She ran away through the street but there wasn't a cab in sight. She got her life saver, like always, her iPhone.

"Agnes, you gotta pick me up. I don't even know where I am."

Agnes yawned.

"Saoirse, do you even know what time it is? I told you, you were too drunk to leave the nightclub yesterday. And today is the day to get drunk."

"It's your birthday and I forgot?" Saoirse asked in a panic.

Agnes laughed.

"It's worse that you forgot St. Patrick's Day. I'll pick you up. You're in a uni colleague's house. Wanna know his name?"

"No," Saoirse suddenly felt sick "It's all coming back to me now."

"Good," Agnes laughed. "Since you threw yourself at him. Not that he'd have denied."

"Okay. Shut up. My head..."

"I always tell you to be conscious and careful. Someday, you're gonna get into trouble for that."

"Thanks, Ma. Please, come pick me up."

"Already getting the keys. You owe me."

"Don't I always."

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Saoirse loved St

Saoirse loved St. Patrick's Day, even though she wasn't particularly religious and didn't believe a thing of what Patrick had preached.

But when Agnes, her best friend, and Saoirse sat at a table on their favorite bar, 'Mug's,' she knew a miracle was about to happen.

Saoirse dressed a tight short green dress to show her curves. She sewed it herself, since she refused to wear anything unoriginal at St. Patrick's Day, even though she wasn't religious at all.

Agnes was wearing green and no matter when, that was also Saoirse's signature color. Not to mention how Saoirse could pull it off wearing those ordinary green hats every drunkard in the street was wearing that day.

Well, Agnes should be prepared. She knew that if St. Patrick's Day was anything, it was the day for Saoirse (and most Irish people) get drunk.

"Okay, Agnes, you've been looking at me with those shift eyes for hours. Spill."

Saoirse and Agnes had been best friends since highschool, where Saoirse was bullied for being too 'freckled'. She was called "Constelation", "Ginger", "Spotty"... She even took regular beatings from her classmates for not being able to control this characterisc of hers. Saoirse also hated being red-haired and loved her friend's cornsilk hair and pale skin. The Red's self-esteem was always hanging by a thread, but she refused to let those evil people win. They may not be aware of her small victories, ever, but she was proud of herself, proud of the woman she had become... And there was no better revenge than that.

"Well, it's just that... Only you can pull off dressing like a skank on St. Patrick's Day."

"Why, thank you. I aim to please. Now, what's the real problem?"

"It's Gerard..."

"You've been fighting again?" asked Saoirse, practically swallowing the mug of beer.

"Saoirse, you've barely eaten and you're drinking a lot."

"I'm having barley already. See? So, what about your boyfriend?"

Agnes twisted her hands.

"Okay, but don't judge me. I'll invite him to live together."

"What?"

Saoirse's emerald eyes nearly bulged, and she almost dropped the wooden chair, rising suddenly.

"I told you, you would judge..." Agnes seemed worried, her blue eyes filling. "If I don't have my best friend's approval, who else, then?"

"Sorry!" Saoirse grabbed Agnes hands. "I love you! I'll be here for you no matter what you need! And Gerard, he's okay. But he doesn't and won't work just because his Da is rich. And you two are always fighting!"

"I know..." she whispered, staring at the floor.

"Nevermind anything I said. I think you're a great couple."

Agnes smiled, a sweet smile.

"No, you don't. You're just getting drunk."

"Tell you what. Order us some potato soup. I gotta pee. All this beer... Gotta get room for more."

The Red decided to play some Candy Crush to pass the minutes, but the line for the bathroom was moving quite fast. In no time she got to a stall, but she didn't want to lose the high score, so she decided to do everything at the same time. Then, with knickers down her knees, Saoirse crouched and...

Ploct.

All she could see was that her expensive, latest technology mobile phone and her highest scores were sinking in that polluted toilet water.