Chapter 5

"So," Belle said, chewing her burger, "Rumple told me I could have a vow renewal, and now I basically get to design the wedding I never had."

Hook knew she was saying something, but he couldn't concentrate. Not with her devouring that burger like she was a dragon feeding on a lion carcass. He stared at her, his mouth slightly open in disbelief.

"Hook?" Belle frowned, snapping her fingers in front of his face. "Hey."

He blinked rapidly, startled. "Sorry, love," he said, shaking his head to clear it. "Got distracted."

Belle rolled her eyes and twisted in her seat to look behind her. She turned back around, frowning. "I don't see Emma."

"Do not mention that name around me," Hook said through clenched teeth. Belle's eyebrows shot up.

"Ooo-ooh," she grinned, leaning forward. "What happened?"

"Don't want to talk about it."

"Oh, come on!" she pleaded. "Please?"

"So, what was that bit about the wedding you said earlier?" he said in a tone that made it clear that no amount of begging, pleading, and/or nagging would get him to talk. Belle looked somewhat disappointed, but smiled.

"Rumple agreed to a vow renewal."

"Vow renewal?" Hook repeated. "What, did the first ones expire?"

"No, it's..." Belle looked at him impatiently. "You see, this is why you should listen when I talk," she said, pointing a stern finger at him.

Hook shrugged. "Go easy on me. I'm broken-hearted, and all that."

"Okay, what happened?"

"Nothing. Tell me about your—" he waved his hand—"vows."

"I get to design my entire wedding, and the reception, which means I get to have my dream wedding, and I'm so excited! I get to pick out my dress and the food and the flowers..."

Belle went on about her dream wedding, which Hook supposed she was allowed to feel excited about: she'd had to settle for a simple ceremony for her original wedding and while the important thing was that they loved each other, he knew Belle well enough to know...she liked her parties.

Maybe it was because she'd been isolated for so long, but Belle loved to surround herself with people and excitement and music and fun. This wedding-revival-thing-whatever seemed the perfect way—

"—want you to come dress-shopping with me."

"I'm sorry, what?" Hook smiled politely, leaning forward to hear her properly.

"I said," Belle said loudly, "I want you to come dress-shopping with me."

Hook's smile faded. "Why in the name of God would you want me to go dress-shopping with you?"

"Well—" Belle sat back, wiping her mouth—"you're the closest thing I've got to a girlfriend, and a bride always takes her girlfriends dress-shopping. And I know you're not busy because..." She gave him a snarky smile and shrugged. "I'm the closest thing you have to a girlfriend."

Hook scratched his nose. "Actually, uh..."

Belle paused in her chewing and stared at him, her eyes growing wide. "Oh, my God," she said, breaking into a smile. "Oh, my God! Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me—"

"Belle, please, lower your voice," he begged. Belle shook her head, still chanting, "Tell me, tell me, tell me, tell me—"

"Everything okay here?" Ruby came over, holding the coffee dispensers in each hand. The smile slid off Belle's face and settled into a grimace. "Belle? More coffee?"