Chapter 4

The sun begins to rise, shining through the crack of the curtains. It falls on Willow's face, causing her eyes to flutter.

Willow

I feel warmth on my face and something close beside me, 'that must be Sophia' I think to myself sleepily. I wrap my arm around the soft object, pressing my forehead into it.

"Mmm...Good morning mommy.." My eyes slowly open. 'Wait...this isn't our room...and that's a pillow, not Sophia..' Everything from the day before came rushing in, I feel my eyes heat up, the tears just on the verge of spilling over. Then I see her, May. I had forgotten she had let me stay here. Her soft brown hair flows down her back and off to the side covering her mouth. I sit up slowly, being careful not to wake her, taking this opportunity to take in the room around me.

The room was full of soft colors. Yellows, pinks, blues, purples, they were all pastel. Those colors were mixed with splashes of black. The black stood out but yet complimented the colors perfectly. I look to the left and there is a huge bay window with white curtains with sunflowers in a grey scale scattered all over hung from the ceiling to the floor. They must of been black out curtains because the room is quite dark except for the small bit of light that is escaping between the cracks. I gently place my feet on the soft white carpet and make my way to the window. 

I reach out and slowly push the curtains apart, not all the way but just enough that I can peer outside. It's beautiful. I am obviously on the second floor of this farm house. There is a large forest area that stretches out behind the fenced in back yard. Within the backyard is a small garden plot, and I notice a St. Bernard sleeping in the sun.

"His name is James" May's soft voice speaks up behind me causing my heart to jump out of my chest in fear. I jump and turn around quickly, my hand on my chest.

"Oh my goodness you startled me!" I see her smile at my words.

"I'm sorry hun, I didn't mean to startle you." She rubs my arm gently, trying to comfort me. "How did you sleep by the way?"

I look away from her shyly but I feel a smile creep onto my face at the question, 'she must care how I feel...'

"I slept great! Thank you!" I feel myself slip into my little space slightly but I pull myself back out. "How did you sleep May? Also, thank you for letting me sleep in your bed last night... I didn't mean to fall asleep in the car... This is your room right? I'm just assuming." My brain just starts running and I can tell my mouth is trying to keep up. I'm just babbling but I can't seem to stop. May laughs a little, that small laugh causes my face to heat up, 'oh gosh..she laughed at my babbling..now I'm blushing..crap!' I stare at my feet and start to bite my nails so I can stop making such a fool of myself.

"You're fine hun, don't worry, yes this is my room. You have no reason to apologize for falling asleep in the car. It was adorable, plus, It's expected of a little." She gives me a little wink. "Come on, let's get some food in you and we can talk more about whatever you have on that crazy mind of yours." She grabs my hand and leads me into the bright hallway, down the stairs and into the kitchen. 

The entirety of the walk to the kitchen I am trying to take in as much as I can. The dark hardwood floors look old but not in terrible shape. There are photographs and paintings hanging on the wall before we reach the stairs. The hardwood continues down the stairs and covers the entirety of the bottom floor. We turn right to go into the dining room that is connected to the kitchen. 

The dining room and kitchen, like the rest of the house, is very bright and cheerful. I can see the backdoor in the kitchen that leads out to the back yard, a large dog door built in it. The smell of coffee greets me as May is still tugging me into the room. There is a proper dinning table and chairs in one section of the room, then there is an island or I guess a breakfast bar, with stools that each are covered with different fabric.

"You can sit there and I'll get some breakfast. Do you like coffee?" May nudges me towards the blue stool as she talks.

I'm so distracted by the new surroundings that all I can do is nod as I climb onto the stool and continue to look around. May places a cup of coffee in front of me, full of sugar and creamer, in a cute hand made ceramic mug.

"Oh! Willow, this is Xander, my husband"

I look over my shoulder and I see a tall man walk into the room. He has an almost angry look on his face as he notices I'm sitting there.