Chapter I: The Talk

Hello dear readers! Recently I've been whining to my friends about how I can't find any new fanfics that I like, so this is me putting my money where my mouth is. This is Attempt Numero Uno:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was one of those rare instances where both brothers sat in the same room. They lazed on the couch with the television on, but their eyes were distant. Though it was silent, worry was clearly etched on their faces as there was only one person on both of their minds. Finally one of them spoke.

"We need to talk," he said, eyes never leaving the screen. A few moments passed before he spoke again, a sign for him to continue. "I went filming around the city today and I noticed there has been way more gang activity going on. I think it's becoming too dangerous for Hanna to stay here," he said, his tone serious.

The other took a long drag of his cigarette to calm himself, holding the smoke in his lungs until finally letting it out. This was important. He had to keep it together a bit longer.

"Yeah I've been thinking about this, too," he sighed. He knew this was coming. The city had recently become a hotbed of violence. Everyone thought it would end with the turf war last year, but apparently not. Every day, the news would report on another stabbing until it reached the point where it was no longer about whether or not there was a victim that day, but how many.

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "So what do you propose we do?" he asked.

"Well I called in a few favors and a school in Kanagawa is willing to take her," the other said.

"Even now that the semester's already begun?" he queried in a disbelieving tone.

"Well I sent them her transcripts. It didn't hurt that she tied for first in her high school entrance exam." He continued, "She'll stay in the dorms. She'll make new friends. More importantly, she'll be safe." He said this as if he was trying to convince himself.

He heaved a sigh. "So, you wanna tell her or should I?" but before he could answer, the door clicked open.

"Shizu-nii, I'm home."

The brothers stood up to greet her. She looked up, surprised to see both her brothers in the living room. 

"Kasuka-nii, when did you get here?" she asked. To anyone else, Hanna would have looked and sounded uncaring, but she was simply more reserved around her other brother as he wasn't around as much.

"Just this morning. But I had to film all day so I just got the chance to stop by," he answered.

"Well welcome back. I'll be in my room." She began to make her way down the hallway before he stopped her.

"Hanna, wait. We need to tell you something," Kasuka began.

She turned her head over her shoulder to shoot him a questioning glance. 

"Come over here and sit for a bit," he said. 

Worry started to work its way into her, though she didn't show it. She always had perfect control of her emotions and what she showed on her face. Most of the time, it was the same passive mask of indifference.

"What is this about?" she asked, looking to her Shizu-nii.

When she saw him she felt even more worried. Shizuo was wearing his 'serious' face, one he reserved for their important talks. Like the time Hanna asked him where their mom was since she hadn't seen her in a week and Shizuo put on that same face and explained to nine year old Hanna that their mom married one of her clients, a wealthy doctor, and wasn't going to be home for awhile. 

He told her he would take care of her and she, in turn, put on a brave face and promised him the same. He remembered she went to her room and cried and cried into her pillow. She never cried in front of others. It was the way she was taught, long before they had ever met.

Shizuo looked her square in the eyes. "You're going to be changing schools," he said.

"What?! We're moving?!" she exclaimed.

"Not us. You." His eyes never left hers as she let the words sink in.

"So you're kicking me out," she said, making it sound like more of a statement than a question.

Kasuka interjected, "Well.... yes, but you'll be dorming in Rikkaidai. I talked to your instructor, too. She's already contacted her friend who's teaching there. So it'll be just like it is here."

"But that's in fucking Kanagawa! Why didn't you just send me to Hyotei or Seigaku if you just wanted me to change schools?!" Hanna was pissed. She was fine with changing schools, but not with leaving the city. She loved it here in Tokyo, the busy streets of Ikebukoro. This was where all her friends were. These were her stomping grounds.

Both the brothers had an answer, but they were hesitant to tell her. The whole point of changing schools was so that she would be out of Tokyo, far away from the gangs and murders and stabbings. Thankfully, before they said anything, Hanna spoke.

"I request a suite," she said. Hanna knew her brothers wouldn't budge, not when they were united, so she was going to milk this for all its worth. "A suite to myself. I refuse to slum it up with some chick I don't even know."

"What? That's ridi-" Before they could get over their shock and finish, she cut them off.

"And I want an allowance sent to me every week since I doubt there'll be any gigs for me in Kanagawa. And you two planned this, so you're both going to see it through. Pack my things. I'm going out." 

The door slammed shut, and the room fell silent.

"That went better than I thought," Shizuo said, putting out his cigarette. Hanna carried herself very well, both at home and in public, but there have been instances where she had been angry enough to throw the TV out the window or kick out a few telephone booths. "Can you make it happen?" he asked.

"Yeah I'll just call them later," Kasuka replied absently. He let out the breath he didn't realize he had been holding. "And I'll send her money. Just take care of yourself, okay?" Shizuo knew what he meant: 'Don't get fired again.'

"Well we better start packing." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOULD YOU READ THIS??! PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

Thanks. c: