Chapter IX: Sleepover

"That... that is not English, Akaya."

- Hanna

"What is this about?" Hanna asked.

"Your Math professor would like a word with you, and after reading over your essay, so would I," the young professor said.

"Was my essay not written well?" Hanna asked slightly confused. She was pretty confident in her English having spoken it all her life.

"Oh quite the contrary," he said, "It was the best paper I read by far. You have a short, concise writing style that's both informative, yet not overloaded with redundancy."

"Thank you," Hanna said. Hanna wasn't going for a specific style, rather that's just how she likes to send and receive information: quick and direct.

"I think it would benefit you to move on to the next level of writing."

Hanna showed slight surprise as he told her this.

"Is this what my math professor also wanted to speak to me about?" Hanna asked. She was pretty sure this was where it was going.

Just then the old man walked through the door to the classroom.

"Sorry for making you wait, Ms. Heiwajima."

Hanna shook her head and muttered a quiet "No problem" before the young professor spoke.

"Not at all, I had to speak with her myself," he said then turned to Hanna, "I will be going now. Please consider what we talked about."

With a 'goodbye' to both, he left the classroom.

"Now Ms. Heiwajima, you will get your test back tomorrow morning with the rest of the class, but I wanted to share with you your result," the old man said as he set down his briefcase and begun sifting through a stack of papers. He produced a single sheet of paper with Hanna's name at the top, with a '100' by her name.

"This is your test," he said, "the only perfect score in the class."

He handed the test over to Hanna to look at. "This is rarely the case in Class 1-A, as I always include a problem that utilizes a method with which we have yet to learn," he explains. "I do this to expose students to material we will eventually learn. That is why students only need an 85 to receive an 'A' in the class. But for you to have known how to find a gradient suggests that you have already covered this section."

"I have covered the last series of Calculus," Hanna confirmed.

The old man nodded, "Yes I had thought as much. Therefore, I think it would only hold you back if you were to take this class. I would like to arrange to have you take the next series with the second years."

Hanna took a minute to think about it. The next series would be Linear Algebra; she had covered that section too, and part of the series after that. But did she want to take classes with Third years and have that much more work? The only reason she went ahead on her own was to make time for dance; skipping the next section would only crush her original purpose as she would have to either catch up or work even harder to get ahead. However, she couldn't come up with a good enough excuse to not move on.

"I think taking the next series will be the most beneficial to my learning," Hanna said.

"Then I will have it arranged," he said, "Thank you for your time. I will see you tomorrow and provide further instruction after I speak with the other instructor."