They were silent a moment. "You really think people will call me a thief?" Jade asked. She could handle being called an exile. She'd earned that title, deserved it. Negative or otherwise it was what she was. But a thief, somehow that made Jade sound more dishonorable. It bothered her more than it should have.

"Don't think about it," Gregor warned. "Don't give them a second more of your thoughts. It will do you no good. None of that can be changed so concern yourself with yourself only. You hear me?"

Jade nodded. "Yes sir."

Gregor smiled. "You better stop calling me sir too. I'm just a grumpy old man to you now."

Jade returned the smile. "You'll always be more."

"Hmm," he replied unconvinced.

They saw little of Stone. Jade wondered why the wolf didn't show himself or ride alongside Gregor but then he told Jade that he'd rather not be recognized as a Protector. If the Elders ever sent someone to inquire after Jade, a wolf was sure to be something that people would remember.

"You really think the Elders would do that?" Jade asked surprised.

"There's no telling what will happen," he admitted. "By now I'm sure they are aware that you are missing or that something at least is wrong. Whether they have figured out that you've left Felkor completely is less certain. They might send a search party to make sure you aren't still in the forest or at your old estate, but I think they'll realize quickly what's happened. From there, well..." He shrugged.

"But I'm an exile," Jade argued. "They've never taken action against an exile. Not unless they catch them in the act."

Gregor only offered another shrug. "You can recite your history to me all you want. It doesn't change the fact that you're the first highborn to leave against their wishes. Things will be different, that much at least I can promise you."

Jade swallowed hard. She hadn't thought of the possibility that they might come after her once she was beyond their reach. She glanced over her shoulder as though she would see a horde of Felkorian's suddenly descending down on her. "You won't tell them?" Jade asked.

"I already told you, the Elders will never know of my involvement. They will not hear from me where you've gone. That I swear." He looked her in the eye.

"If they found out you've lied to them..." Jade didn't know what would happen, but she knew it wouldn't be good.

"Worry about yourself," Gregor reminded her for the last time and then picked up the pace so that they wouldn't be able to hold conversation. After another hour, Jade knew they were near to reaching the crossroads. The road became well maintained and in the distance, Jade could see the mountains that rested on along Caxil's northern border.

Gregor knew it too. He seemed more willing to hold a conversation when he saw the mountains and gave Jade advice for the outside world, practical advice that had nothing to with Protector training or fighting. She took it all to memory and after a time, they finally came to the crossroads.

The horses stopped of their own accord. Jade looked down each road as they curved away, one continued south, toward the river crossing and the other turned West. The sun was setting and the land glowed from the twilight. Chance shifted her weight and the leather of Jade's saddle creaked.

Finally, Gregor took a breath. "Jade?"

Jade nodded to show she understood it was time. This was a harder than leaving Felkor. She had been so focused on not getting caught that she hadn't had time to truly dwell on the goodbye. "I know this is hard," he said. "I wish I could come with you, but I think we both know that this is a journey you have to make on your own."