13.

He paced back and forth in the tent that the refugee camp had given him and to his family

He paced back and forth in the tent that the refugee camp had given him and to his family. His thoughts were filled with constant scenarios that were popping out in his mind.

His family, including himself, had been on edge of the atmosphere where the Sun Flares hadn't done too much damage. But that didn't mean anywhere was safe. It had been almost two months since the virus had been exposed. And people began to panic. So he packed everything that he and his wife could carry and began to travel south where he had heard rumors of a refugee camp that can only bring in the ones who weren't exposed to the virus.

When they arrived, an announcement was made later that explained to every parent, grandparent, uncles, aunts, and friends that the virus can't affect children from the age of under fourteen. And must be evacuated immediately to a safe zone where they can ensure the children's safety. But the catch. . . was that neither of the survivors can ever see their children again. Ever.

The announcement was made two days ago, and the train that would take the children departs tomorrow morning.

"There's got to be another way." His wife pleaded to him softly. "Maybe we can-"

"There is no other way. You heard what they said. You read the pamphlet." Her husband whispered with a stressed look written across his face. Their children were sound asleep in the corner of their tent. Oblivious of the argument that their parents were in.

"But how can we be sure that we're making the right choice? If we do this, we might never see them again." The thought of not just giving one of her children away, but two? It's bad enough as it is.

But there was no other choice. Their children needed this.

Her husband gently grabbed her shoulders and looked her into her eyes with a determined look. "If we do this. They'll have a life where they can live. That's the only thing that we can give to them." He glanced at their children with hope. "I can't explain it. . . but I believe that they, and those other kids, are the key to saving us. People like us. . . Like me."

It was a scary thought really. He was going out of his mind. The dark veins that were beginning to form on his wrist began to differ. His wife sniffed quietly as she shakes her head in denial when he showed it to her the other night. She was trying so hard to keep her children safe, but she couldn't even make sure that the love of her life was safe. She practically blamed herself and started calling herself useless but her husband reassures her that she wasn't.

After going through their plans for their children's departure, he told her that he was going to one of the guards and exposed himself after they see they're children off. If he was going to die, he wanted to make sure that he could see his pride and joys one last time.

"I believe that they can save the world. . . I believe that they can save each other." Those were his last words to his wife before they went to the man that was in charge of the program and signed their children's names and age. It was the only thing that they asked for.