Chapter Seventeen

Clawd's Point Of View

"All right! Nicole's birthday party is where we are all heading," he said loudly. Howleen, Romulus, Clawdeen, and Thad all smiled as they nodded. "Presents don't matter at this point. I know she just wants to be around family and friends. Especially on today," Clawd said. He let the sentence hang, allowing everyone to figure out what he meant. Every time that Nicole celebrated a birthday, she was reminded that not only did she not have a mother, but that her mother had died on her birthday. Every year, the simple thought of it had seemed to upset her more and more.

"I got her something, but I'll have to go back to the house to get it," Clawdeen said softly. Clawd nodded.

"You make it quick, then. I want us all there right around the same time. Poor girl... It's so late," Clawd said, looking down at his watch. Clawdeen pulled the passenger door closed and rolled down her window.

"We'll give her the birthday she wants. I promise," Clawdeen said softly.

"I'll run down to the bakery and pickup a new cake," Howleen said as Clawdeen and Thad pulled away from the hospital. Clawd nodded.

"Great. Thank you. I'll see you back at the house," Clawd said. He took a step towards the truck when Howleen stopped him. He turned around to face her.

"It's gonna be ok, big brother. I promise," she said softly as she pulled Clawd into a hug. Clawd felt himself smile as he wrapped his arms around his little sister. Howleen pulled away and waved as she climbed into Romulus's car. Clawd watched as they pulled away from the hospital. He sighed and pulled open the driver's side door. As he backed out of the parking lot, he did all he could to keep himself from smoking. He reached into his jean pocket and threw the pack of cigarettes into the back seat.

Clawdeen was right, Nicole could get sick, just like any human could. There was no way that he could smoke around her. He would never be able to forgive himself. He picked up his phone and dialed Dracula's number. The grip of his right hand tightened on the steering wheel as his left hand held his phone up to his ear.

"We're all on our way to the house. Howleen is picking up a cake, and everyone else will be there, soon," he said softly. There was a long pause before Dracula said anything.

"What about Clawdeen? Is she ok?" He asked.

"Yeah. She's... fine," Clawd replied. He was still angry that Thad had turned his little sister into a vampire.

"Good, good," Dracula said.

"How's Nicole?" Clawd asked as he glanced back at the pack of cigarettes.

"She's pretty down about something. I can tell you she's not upset about not having you guys here. I think she's a little bothered by something, but I guess that's why that De Nile boy is here," Dracula said.

"Did she read that book from Laura?" Clawd asked as he ran his hand under his chin.

"Couldn't tell you, Clawd. That's not really a subject I want to bring up with my granddaughter right now," Dracula said, his voice sounding like a low growl.

"I'll be home, soon, ok? I'll talk to her then," Clawd said.

"I wouldn't. Just leave it be, Clawd. I don't know what's bothering her, but I would... I would leave it alone for now," Dracula said as he ended the call. Clawd rolled his eyes and slid his phone onto the dash.

"Jesus Christ. How did I let my life get here?" Clawd muttered as he turned into his driveway. He cut the engine of his truck and leaned back in his seat. He didn't even want to go inside. It was another birthday celebrated without Laura. It was just another anniversary of the death of the love of his life. He sighed and reached behind him for the pack of cigarettes. He shook his head and slipped one into his mouth and lit it. He drew in a deep breath as he relaxed. From what he could tell, this was the only way he was going to make it through the day.

Nicole's Point Of View

"Hey, I think that was my dad," I said as I jumped out of the swing.

"Wait for me!" Calvin exclaimed, jumping out of the swing and running to catch up with me. As I walked into the house, I wrapped my arms around my grandpa.

"Thanks for being here until Dad got home," I said quietly. He smiled and picked me up, resting me on his lap.

"Of course, baby girl. That's what I'm here for," he said softly. I giggled and jumped off his lap and ran to the door.

Clawd's Point Of View

The front door swung open as Nicole ran outside. "Shit," Claw muttered as he twisted the tip of the cigarette into the ash tray. There was no way he could let his daughter know he was smoking. He shook his head and pushed open the car door. "Hey, sweetheart," he said as he squatted down, his arms held open.

Nicole's Point Of View

"Dad!" I exclaimed as I ran full speed towards him. I jumped into his arms, almost knocking both of us over. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me.

"Hope you've had fun while I was gone," he said softly. "I just had a few things to do," he said as he stood up, picking me up with him.

"I know. Grandpa told me you were busy. I'm just glad you're home," I said quietly as I buried my face in his neck. In reality, I was just glad that he was ok. I had no proof that he was in danger, but I always had a fear of his safety. It got worse around my birthday. I had lost my mother on my birthday, I couldn't stand to lose my father on my birthday, too.

Hey, guys! Wow, I am SO sorry that it took so long to update this story. I've been very busy with school and finals and whatnot. Either way, school is over until August. I'll have a lot of time to update for now. Hopefully, I'll get around to updating more often and making longer chapters. If you have ideas, leave them below and I'll do my best to get to them or incorporate them in the story in some way. Thanks for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter. Bye for now! :)