Chapter Thirteen

Nicole's Point Of View

I sat down at the table and frowned as I looked down at the little book that Mr. Where had given me. Calvin sat down next to me and looked at it too.

"Why don't you open it?" He asked as he ran his fingers over the edges of the cover. I shrugged and looked over at Gigi. Grandpa was in the living room reading the newspaper, so we had free range of the house.

"I'm scared to. I don't know what's written in here," I said softly. Gigi smiled as she looked at me.

"I'm sure it's going to be ok. I can tell you it's nothing to be scared of, finder," she said softly.

"Nicole. Call me Nicole," I replied. She nodded and sat down on the other side of me. She placed her hand on my shoulder and looked down at the book.

"Ok, Nicole. How about you just open it to the first page and read what that one says?" Gigi suggested. I nodded. I drew in a deep breath and carefully opened the book to the very first page.

Nicole, my darling. This is for your sixth birthday. Don't read it until then. - Mommy

I closed my eyes and tried not to cry. I had barely read anything yet, and I was already about to cry. I bit my lip and looked up at Gigi. She smiled warmly.

"That wasn't so bad, was it? Why don't you go ahead and read the next page?" She asked. Again, I nodded and turned the page.

Nicole, my little girl, I'm sorry that I cannot be there for you. I'm sorry that you'll never get to meet me. No matter what, know that I loved you from he moment that I found out that I would have you. Your father was a little skeptical at first, but I know he's loves you with all his heart.

Now, as your turning six, which I would like to be first to say happy birthday, I would like to ask some favors of you. Do you think you can do them?

I stopped reading and looked back up at Calvin and Gigi. Calvin just looked back at me, having no idea what to say because he wasn't reading it with me. But Gigi smiled again. She knew every single word that was written into the book. I nodded slightly and continued reading.

Great. First off, I would just like to tell you that your father has already read his little book that I gave him. I would have loved to ask him for some favors, but he is nowhere near as strong as you are. First, I need you to find my cousin Thad. Most likely, he's still sitting at home being, well, Thad. However, he's supposed to be dating your aunt Clawdeen at this point. If he already is, great! Fangtastic! If he's not, you need to show him this particular passage from the book. Clawdeen loves him very dearly, almost as much as I love you, baby girl. I remember the first time I set them up on a date and they danced. The light that I saw in their eyes at that moment... Oh, I knew I had done the right thing. They had zinged. Once you zing, you can't move onto someone else. You might think you can and you might think you've fallen in love with someone else. But that isn't possible, my dear. Remember that. The one you first zing with is the one that is meant for you. Like your father and myself. We zinged.

Now, darling, I cannot have you read any further until you have finished this little favor.

So, I stopped reading. I looked up at Calvin before I spoke.

"I'm supposed to go find my Mom's cousin," I said softly. I didn't quite understand why I was the one that had to tell Thad about Clawdeen; I had never even met the guy. But, it was Mommy's wishes for me to do so, so I would follow through. Calvin nodded and jumped out of his chair.

"Let's go," he said. I smiled and looked up at Gigi. She nodded.

"Grandpa! We're going down to the park!" I exclaimed. It was a lie, but I wasn't going to tell him that I was going to find Thad so I could tell him he needed to be with Aunt Clawdeen. That would be weird.