Chapter 9.

Trigger Warning - Mention of Sexual Abuse

I know this subject can cause intense stress to some people so I am giving you fair warning now. If you do not wish to read it stop reading the chapter after the sentence 'Until Christmas of 2013.' In brief, sexual abuse contributes to Andies paranoia. I would like to mention this chapter is a very big step for Andie so there is a picture that I drew of Effy after the triggering paragraphs so if you wish to continue reading you can skip until you see that. Much love, Anastasia.

It was the first of April, the first day of the middle of spring. And what a spring day it was. Effy was sitting on the couch in her pyjamas watching Chuggington with a bowl of soggy cornflakes, whilst I tidied around the living room. It was already 68 degrees yet it was barely nine in the morning. We were in for a warm one today, which meant I would probably be dealing with a very hot, bothered and restless child. Mum and Dad had made the terrible decision of giving me a taste of parenthood and going out on a day long hike with each other, which meant I would be dealing with the cereal munching gremlin myself. I dusted along the spines of the encylopedias that lined one shelf of the bookshelf before feeling something tugging on my pants. I looked down to see Effy waving at me with a big grin and an even bigger milk moustache.

"Hi Andie," she giggled mischeviously and I raised my eyebrow at the toddler. She glanced back over at the couch before looking back up at me waiting for a reply. I squinted my eyes and slowly and silently walked towards the back of the couch, before peering over it and down onto the cushions. Laid out across the couch was Albany, as per usual, but for some reason he had a small plastic bowl as a hat.

"Did you do this to Albany, Effy?" I asked as Effy clambered back onto the couch and started patting Albany. I reached over and picked up the bowl, glad to see that it had been completely drained of milk before being placed on my cats head. Effy shook her head while avoiding eye contact and continued to pat Al. "Must of been the fairies," I declared, "because I didn't do it."

"It was Alanie," Effy stated, matter-of-factly.

"Albany put the bowl on his head all by himself?" I asked in fake disbelief. Effy nodded, before climbing back off the couch and racing around to stand beside me. She tugged on my pants again, despite already having my attention and hopped up and down.

"I need to go toy-it!" she muttered and I picked her up, immediately understanding. We headed into the bathroom and I placed her on the floor in front of her potty. I turned my back after she demanded privacy and waited for her to finish doing her business. Once she finished she used a stepping stool to reach the sink and washed her hands while I tipped the potty contents into the toilet and flushed before using the shower head to clean out the bowl.

"Time to get dress!" Effy sung as she raced out of the bathroom and into my bedroom. I rushed after her, even though I know she wanted to get her clothes I was still paranoid she'd get into my paints. I helped her pick out her outfit for the day, a baby pink t-shirt and light blue dungarees, and then she demanded that she got to pick out my outfit, so I laid out three shirts and three bottoms for her to choose from. I ended up wearing none of those options as she pulled open my wardrobe door and decided on my burgundy velvet slip dress. So I put that on over a white shirt as Effy held her hands to her eyes.

After she removed her hands from her eyes she blinked to adjust back to the light and then looked around my room, taking it all in. She headed directly for my easel after noticing it and I followed after her, wanting anything but her to open my container of paints and make a mess.

"You like paint?" she asked, and I nodded. "I like paint too! I paint all the time at kinny with Meg and Suzie! Can we paint now?"

I nodded again, it was only nine in the morning, I had the next two days to waste with Effy, so I might as well distract her for a few hours with some paint. I grabbed my cheapest paint and brushes from the container at the base of my easel and found a wad of printing paper on my desk. Effy followed me like a duckling out into the dining room where I spread the paper out and dumped the paints. She eagerly climbed onto one of the chairs and sat there patiently waiting for me to pour out some for her to use.