➳ longtail x reader

Author's Note: heya! Thanks for?? 400+ views?? Like omg thank you-- Also, I'm writing this on my phone so I'm sorry it looks trashy ,^^

Word Count: 579

Request: "Longtail x Reader? I love your writing!" - @chien-bleu

- - -

You groaned as you felt a paw prod your side.

You blinked to see Longtail gently tapping your side, while you could make out Darkstripe flicking his tail irritably.

The den was pitch black, except for a light magenta gleaming from outside. You registered this as dawn.

Yawning, you heaved yourself upwards, flashing a small smile at Longtail as you did so. As you began to stretch, Longtail gave a meek explanation.

"Redtail wants us to lead the dawn patrol. The rest of the sick cats are desperate for food, especially after.." he paused to swallow, a flash of guilt in his eyes, "Poppydawn.."

From behind, Darkstripe's eyes narrowed as Longtail spoke of Poppydawn. "We'd best be going now, shouldn't we?" He grunted.

"Y-yes!" Longtail jolted suddenly, rushing to the front and leading you three out of camp. You watched in confusion. Longtail was acting.. off. Something was bothering him. You could tell.

As you three made your way past the training grounds, you caught up to Longtail and rested your tail on his shoulder gingerly. You felt him tense slightly at your touch, but he didn't pull away, to your relief.

"Ok Darkstripe, you can check the great sycamore for squirrels, and Longtail and I will check that grove over there for prey." You meowed suddenly, causing Darkstripe to jump a little, followed with a scowl.

You though you heard Darkstripe mutter something along the lines of "who put you in charge?", but you had already leapt away, so you weren't completely sure. Longtail on your tracks, you two soon made it to the grove of trees, getting buried in the overwhelming scent of prey, so strong that you would've had to bury your nose is Longtail's fur to even get a faint scent of him.

"Alright Longtail. What in StarClan's name is wrong with you? Don't lie to me, I know somethings wrong."

You looked him straight in the eyes, which caused him to promptly turn to face the ground. Rolling your eyes, you rested your muzzle on his head for a moment before continuing, "Nothing you say can make me love you less."

This made Longtail whip his head back up to face you, surprise clear on his face, making you let out a slight chuckle.

"Well, I-uh," Longtail paused for a moment, before signing in defeat. "The other day, Redtail and Spottedleaf ordered Darkstripe and I to catch prey for Poppydawn- she was in the verge of death. While we were out there, we caught a huge squirrel, that would've definitely kept Poppydawn alive. B-but, Darkstripe started to eat the squirrel himself, and then he threatened to tell Bluestar that I was the one who suggested eating the squirrel if I didn't take a bite. And then we got back to camp practically empty-pawed, and Poppydawn was dead!"

Your heart dropped at his words.

"Oh, Longtail, I'm so sorry.." you whispered, before pressing your muzzle to his for a moment. "It's not your fault Poppydawn is dead. It's Darkstripe's."

"Cmon. Let's catch something. StarClan as my witness, i'll take care of Darkstripe one day."

You both skipped off to catch prey, and from that day forward, you two were mates.

And during the great battle, you and Graystripe killed Darkstripe.

You kept your promise.