Chapter Seven: The Uninvited Guest

Start from the beginning

"You mean... you don't remember anything from before you woke up in the hospital?"

I notice Paul and Patrycks' conversation die down as they suddenly look concerned.

Matt cheerful mood becomes a bit more somber as he goes to respond but doesn't quite get the chance. Tord enters the room, and silence falls filling the room. Everyone stands up and salutes like they are used to it, including myself. I didn't remember wanting or knowing to do that...

Just like Paul and Patryck, Tord is less in uniform than usual. He is now branding only his red sweatshirt with his robot arm very visible all the way up to his shoulder with one of the sleeves torn off.

He pauses and nods to the crowd before him. Just like that, everyone returns to laughing and drinking like they were before.

"It's weird. You know, seeing everyone so casual, relaxed, and out of uniform compared to how it has been since I got here. Especially To- Uh Red Leader."

Matt shrugs and once again returns to his cheerful state.

"I guess even leaders need a break to forget about the war every now and then."

I feel Tords familiar metallic grip as he firmly claps me on the back. I turn to see him warmly smiling to me whilst looking between me and Matt.

"Tom! I'm glad to see you made it!" He sits on the other side of me and places a steaming mug he was holding with his other hand on the table.

"Yeah," I half laugh. "For a minute, I didn't think you were going to come."

"Heh, well, I had some leader things to handle before coming." I can't get over how familiar his tone is. "Speaking of which..." Tord stands up, which quickly gains everyone's attention as the room hushes once more.

"Today, we welcome a new soldier into the army. Everyone, welcome the newest addition, Matt." Tord gestures to Matt, who hesitantly stands. As soon as the applause hits, he is fine as he grins, obviously relishing in the attention.

"And last but not least," Tord continues once the applause stops. "We welcome not a new member, but we celebrate the recovery of a past and current soldier. Welcome back, Tom!" Tord grins gesturing to me just as he did Matt. With how he said it, I wonder how long I have actually been here. I, too, stand to receive the claps of my fellow soldiers. Matt took it a lot better, though. I quickly reclaim my seat.

"Here is to them!" Tord exclaims, pulling out a silver flask from his hoodie. He lifts it for a toast, and everyone does the same with their drinks. Paul slides me a drink, and I too participate. Tord gives Paul a sideways glance right before finishing the toast by pouring some of the contents of the flask into his mouth. Everyone, of course, follows. I lift the ice cold bottle to my mouth and slowly tilt it back. The bitter taste immediately burns my throat but not necessarily in an unpleasant way. As the drink goes down, I feel a strange warmth spread throughout my body. It is strange, but I think I like it. The taste, like many things, is oddly familiar.

I read the large white label on the bottle "Smirnoff Original." A small headache starts once again. By now, I have grown kind of used to it in a sense. I shrug and take another sip, letting the warm fuzzy feeling wash over me. I look over at Matt, who seems unsure of whatever drink he was given. Tord takes a seat, signaling he is done with his speech, and he pours the rest of the contents of the flask into the mug he brought in earlier with coffee in it. He now takes a sip of his new concoction and nods satisfactorily at his creation. I take a look around and to my surprise everyone seems to be having a good time. Even Paul and Patryck are goofing off a bit. You wouldn't even be able to tell this is an army for a war that's going on. Maybe I just need to loosen up. I take another gulp of my drink. It just gets better.