An Escape

PAGE ONE

Panel One: Wide-angle view of Ania, on her knees. She is locked in a crude cage made of sticks bound together with rope. She holds the bars of the cage, pleading. Yaga and her henchmen are also partially visible.

Panel Two: Close-up of Ania.

ANIA: Let me go!

Panel Three: Medium-length view of Yaga, sitting on a rock.

YAGA: No, my child. You’re safer in that cage than you’d be out the forest. It’s dangerous…

Panel Four: View into the depths of the forest, as seen from eye-level of the characters. 

YAGA (OP): …All sorts of nasty things.

PAGE TWO

Panel One: View of Yaga from behind, standing at Ania’s cage. Ania is partially visible. 

Panel Two: Close-up of Yaga.

YAGA: Why did you try to escape, child?

Panel Three: Medium-length view of Ania, cowering at the back of her cage.

ANIA: I don’t want you to eat me!

PAGE THREE

Panel One: Full-body view of Yaga, looking sympathetic.

YAGA: Of course not, child. But from time to time we all must do things that we don’t want to.

Panel Two: Medium-length view of Ania.

ANIA: But why me? There are plenty of animals. We haven’t been going hungry. Let me go and I’ll leave you alone. I won’t tell anyone, I promise!

Panel Three: Medium-length view of Yaga, pouring soup into a bowl with a ladle. 

YAGA: Animals won’t do. Not the same. 

Panel Four: Medium-length profile view of Yaga giving the bowl of soup to Ania through an opening between the bars of the cage. 

YAGA: Now eat up. You need to be strong, child.

PAGE FOUR

Panel One: Medium-length view of Ania in her cage, holding the cup of soup low, as if she doesn’t want it.

ANIA: I’m not eating. Not till you tell me what you need to eat me for.

Panel Two: Wide-angle view of Yaga, out of context. Her wrinkles are accentuated, and it’s evident how very old she actually is.

YAGA: I’m getting old, child, and my time is almost up. There’s one way to stay here longer—to become young again—and unfortunately I need you to help me.

Panel Three: Pure black.

YAGA (OP): You understand. 

PAGE FIVE

Panel One: Close-up of Ania. There are tears welling at her eyes. 

ANIA: But you can eat someone else! Not me!

Panel Two: Medium-length view of Yaga. 

YAGA: We don’t come across fresh little girls like you very often out here… And my time’s almost up. 

Panel Three: Wide-angle profile view of Yaga and Ania.

YAGA: My child, we all have a job to do on this earth, and sooner or later we need to accept our callings, unpleasant as they may be. You’d do that for your old grandmother, wouldn’t you?