Kinshuk + Amaya

She fell in love with him the moment she saw him on that stage. She was 11 and he was her snooty classmate but that summer morning as he adjusted the microphone, he looked so... brilliant! It was instant love for her. So like any headstrong girl, she pursued him. Worked her way up from acquainted to friend to that someone special. By the age of 15, they were practically dating. They were together all the time. The entire school was rooting for them to end up together. So it came as a shock when she suddenly changed her school and broke his heart.

Kinshuk was devastated.

Amaya had meant the world to him. They had made promises. Promises to make their relationship official after the 10th class board exams; she had promised she'll go out with him for coffee and then maybe more. He was involved and invested in her and her life. Her younger brother was a dear friend, her mother's cell phone number was on his speed dial and her father... well he didn't know the man very well but it was because of him and his philandering ways that Amaya had given up on men, been brainwashed by some toxic friends and decided that she would lead the life of a celibate.

Celibacy at 15! Was she fucking kidding him?

If she didn't want to date him, she could have just said so! Why come up with such an elaborate scheme? Or what if, what if she was actually serious about it? And even so, why did she sever all ties with him? Did she think that all this time he was trying to get into her pants? Is that how lowly she thought of him? Kinshuk had pursued and pleaded with her; heard her story, gave logic, requested to remain friends but nothing had worked. She was sure that she was not good for him and not only he, but no man could ever fix what her dad's betrayal has broken in her.

He too had given up on her without too much of a fight. The betrayal and the loss of his better half was too much for him. School became a misery. Every nook, every corner reminded him of Amaya. She had left but her scent remained with him, forever.

Today, twenty years later as he entered the movie theatre for an exclusive premier, he was haunted by that scent once again. There she was, his life size demon. His first love and his first heart-break! Amaya stood there in a beautiful silver gown greeting her guests, smiling and blushing at the various compliments being showered at her. Her mother was talking to the press at one corner, while her brother was surrounded by fan girls and was busy signing autographs. They both saw him from the corner of their eyes and exchanged silent greetings. Amaya hadn't noticed him yet.

Kinshuk took a deep breath and walked in. He was here because fate had played a dirty trick on him and made him one of the distributors of her new movie. Ah! How cruel! All these years, as she and her family successfully built a movie empire, he had successfully dodged her! If her face was in the newspaper, he would read the news online. If her movie was in the theaters, he would go watch a play instead. If she endorsed a product, it was banned from his life! She was still blocked from all his social media accounts. But life has a wicked sense of humor.

So here he was, standing just two feet from Amaya.

Amaya was glowing, looking more beautiful than he remembered which astonished him more than anything. Ah! Aging works for some people, he smirked at himself. 

The moment she noticed him, her smile spread to her eyes and softness enveloped her entire body, maybe reminded by an old memory. She rushed towards him and captured him in a warm embrace, as if out of habit. As her silky touch and sweet scent bombarded his senses, he blurted 'so, what's this movie of yours about?' almost in shock. She felt his shoulders loosen in a deep exhale as she whispered softly, 'Us'.

The End